How To Make Money Doing Organic Farming

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Today, when we talk about farmers the picture that comes into the mind of an average young man is tattered clothes, battered shoes, suffering and poverty, even though you can't discredit a farmer because without them there won't be food but nevertheless there's this skew view and stigma we associate with farmers.

Farming has gone hybrid and you don't have to do it the same oĺe way, we now have organic farming, you work, within two to three months your produce are out and you sell.

Organic farming deals with farming non perishable items that are required everyday, day in day out, like tomatoes, onions, peppers.

Farming this kind of produce is not hard like others and it can be done the whole year round through irrigation, but I'll advise those interested to search for organic farmers groups on facebook, and ask those that are already into it questions, some will be even willing to mentor you.

You also need to rent a land that you'll carry out your farming, and buy seeds, I'll suggest you start small and learn from each harvest.

You can start making research on price of your produce in markets and restrategize on how you can enter the market.

You also need to ask around about which part of the year has high demand of your produce to ensure maximum profits.

Making money doing organic farming is not only profitable but also eco-friendly, because you are using biodegradable materials, which can save your money too. Organic Farming is sustainable farming, in which whatever we are using is natural and does not have any harmful effect to mankind or nature. Organic farming will take time, but it is both profitable and a socially responsible way of farming.

It may really be a profitable business but I believe before engaging in some business you don't know even if it is harming ,you have to understand how to do a perfectly just like you have just mentioned, there is someone who learn poultry farming without she having a good understanding of how to do it , at the end of the day all the chicken died and she was at lost. What I am trying to say is that you shouldn't go into a business you don't understand just because it is profitable ,just take your time and learn how the business really work.

@Nite on point, because the international community is facing pressure right now because of climate change and we can't over emphasize how it's affecting us the habitants of this beautiful planet.

In the last five years, Africa had really tried in stabilising organic farming especially in East Africa, countries like Kenya, Rwanda and Tanzania.

Kenya, for instance has a startup that deals with only organic farming and they've raised millions of dollars to scale up the business.

They're are also planing on expanding to West Africa which I think it's a good idea.

How will you describe organic farming here in Nigeria? Do you think our youths are harnessing it's potential.

Organic farming does not just mean you are not using chemical fertilizers and pesticides and are growing crops using organic fertilizer and organic pesticides and insecticides, organic farming also means you are using natural seeds to grow plants, and or not using genetically modified seeds. If you are growing purely organic produce, you can make really good money. But you also need a certificate of organic before you can sell.

You can do organic farming even if you are living in towns and cities.. You can buy coco peat, potting mix to grow your vegetables and fruits. You can prepare your own organic fertilizer. The best thing about organic farming in urbamn areas is you can easily manage your organic waste.