How To Hire a Good Manager: Things You Should Look out for

Jasz

VIP Contributor
If you're looking for a great new manager, and you want to hire someone who's going to be awesome and stick around for a long time, here are some things to keep in mind.

When picking your next manager, look for these five qualities:

• You want a smart manager who understands how to keep the workplace changing and is able to shift the company culture to reflect that.
  • You want someone who can listen well, has the ability to learn on the fly, and is able to make good decisions when presented with an unexpected opportunity or problem.
  • You want a mature manager (without being old) who isn't let-down by things like social media or mobile technology and who is willing to step out of their comfort zone for the sake of building a strong team.
  • You also want someone who isn't afraid to ask questions—you don't want a manager who just blindly follows company protocols without asking why or looking for ways they can adjust them.
  • Finally, you want a person with good communication skills—a manager who can clearly convey ideas and share information with people from all over the company (and even outside the company), someone who has strong writing skills, and is able to understand how policies work at the company.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I was working in a Japanese software house I was one of the 3 senior supervisors who are candidates for the position of operations manager. The Filipino vice president wanted the woman to be the manager but the Japanese president chose me. His reason is that I have the maturity of a manager. The woman is weak with her decisions and is emotional while the other candidate is a younger buy who is quick on the trigger, so to speak. It is not easy to explain what maturity is but you will only see and feel it if you get to work with the person for a long period. That is the reason why it is not easy to hire a manager from the outside because it will be a gamble. After some months that's when you will see the performance of the manager. With other aspects the communication skills is the most important for me.