How To Get A Raise In Your Workplace

moonchild

VIP Contributor
If you have been working for a long time at your current workplace, I think it's ideal to ask for a raise in salary or stipends, there are different scenarios where employees get sacked after asking for a raise, this article will serve as a guide for you if you think you are not getting what you deserve at your workplace.

To get a raise at your workplace, you have to be willing to put in the work, this means, put in more hours, make sure your manager can see your outputs, go the extra mile always on assigned tasks.

After making your work measurable, the next thing to do is to make an appeal for it, that is you should write a letter or face your manager heads on with your demand, it shouldn't be rude, you can ask for it in a level headed way.

You can decide to continue working if your raise request is rejected and be looking for a new opportunity at the same time, but most often than not, when you make your input visible you will get the reward easily.

Employees shouldn't feel bad for asking for a raise, however, it's a duty of employers to provide decent salary for their employees.

Some managers are terrible and no matter how many hours you put in, they would not think of giving you a raise. No matter how much creativity you add, they would not consider raising your salary. These things happen a lot in Nigeria. I worked in a school where I was the official MC of the school, co-ordinator of extra curricula, and other key involvement the man that owned the did not look at my first twice to consider raising my pay, I had to threaten him one day that I would leave. It was on that day he approved my pay increase.

Some bosses know what to do but they don't want to do it. They believe in using you till all the virtues in you have dried up before they think of increasing your lay. Sometimes, you need to be bold ad brace the subject with them so that you can get a pay rise.

Some managers are terrible and no matter how many hours you put in, they would not think of giving you a raise. No matter how much creativity you add, they would not consider raising your salary. These things happen a lot in Nigeria. I worked in a school where I was the official MC of the school, co-ordinator of extra curricula, and other key involvement the man that owned the did not look at my first twice to consider raising my pay, I had to threaten him one day that I would leave. It was on that day he approved my pay increase.

Some bosses know what to do but they don't want to do it. They believe in using you till all the virtues in you have dried up before they think of increasing your lay. Sometimes, you need to be bold ad brace the subject with them so that you can get a pay rise.

There are many ways you can get a raise at your workplace. However, it is definitely never an easy thing to accomplish.

1) Work Harder

Working hard is quite important. Working harder is one of the main reasons why so many people get promoted at their workplace. If you want to achieve something in life, then working hard is the way that you must opt for. If you work hard, then you get acknowledged for your work.

2) Make Sure That Boss Notice You

The is the second step when it comes to getting promoted. You must always make sure that your boss notice and acknowledge your hard work. If your boss does not notice or praise you, then this could delay the process of promotion as it is your boss who will promote you. So, let the person who is in-charge of you notice your efforts.

3) Switch Your Job

If even after trying your best, you do not get promoted or if the boss refuses to promote you, then it is much better to look for a job that pays well and search for a company where your effort will be acknowledged by bosses. This is the last thing you could do in the end.

Well, not every employer agree to give employees a raise. This is bad though because a person who has been working for a business for years shouldn't still be earning the same thing with what he or she earned when they started the work initially. Also, the economy change with time and i'm afraid it's changing for bad. An employee needs a raise in order to be able to meet up with the demanding economy.
An employee has to put in a lot work in other to get a raise. He or she would have to spend more time at work, be very punctual to work, win a big deal for the company if possible, maintain a good relationship with the employer, other employees and most especially customers. I feel if one is able to do all this, one would be able to get a raise.

One of the most common questions people have is how to get a raise in their workplace. While there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, there are some general tips and strategies you can follow to increase your chances of getting a raise.

1. Do your research

Before you even start asking for a raise, it’s important to do your research and know what you’re worth. Look at similar positions in your industry and see what the going rate is for your experience and skills. This will give you a good starting point when it comes to negotiating your salary.

2. Build a case

Once you know what you’re worth, it’s time to start building a case for why you deserve a raise. This means putting together a list of your accomplishments and positive contributions to the company. If you can show that you’re an asset to the company, you’ll be in a much stronger position to negotiate a raise.

3. Know your worth

When it comes to asking for a raise, confidence is key. You need to know your worth and be confident in your ability to negotiate a higher salary. If you go into the conversation doubtful of yourself, it will be much harder to get the raise you deserve.

4. Be prepared to walk away

If you’re not getting the answer you want, be prepared to walk away. This doesn’t mean quitting your job, but it does mean being willing to walk away from the negotiation if you’re not getting what you want. This will show that you’re serious about getting a raise and will give you more leverage in the negotiation.

5. Follow up

Once you’ve had the initial conversation, make sure to follow up. This shows that you’re still interested in getting a raise and that you’re willing to continue to work for it. If you just let the conversation drop, it’s unlikely you’ll ever get the raise you’re asking for.

Getting a raise can be a tough negotiation, but if you follow these tips, you’ll be in a much better position to succeed.