How To Fix A Bad Spending Habit As A College Student

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Are you a student who finds yourself constantly overspending and struggling to make ends meet? You're not alone. Many students struggle with managing their finances, when I was still in college, I will make plans about how I will save money but most of the times I end up blowing through it, so it is not a big deal at all, the good news is that there are steps you can take to fix a bad spending habit.

The first step is to identify where your money is going. Take a look at your bank statements or keep a spending diary for a week. This will give you an idea of where you're overspending and what areas you can cut back on.

Next, create a budget. List your income or methods of earning and your fixed expenses and then allocate a certain amount for your variable expenses (like food, bills if you pay any, transport and school material).

Another way to fix a bad spending habit is to find cheaper alternatives. For example, instead of eating out every day, try meal prepping or cooking at home. Instead of buying new clothes every week, consider swapping clothes with friends or buying second-hand.

it's important to have self-control and discipline. Avoid impulse purchases and only buy things that you really need. It's okay to treat yourself occasionally, but make sure it's within your budget and won't cause financial stress down the road, this is the hardest thing to do, you might as well get an accountability partner to help you make it into reality

You can start to fix your bad spending habit and become more financially responsible as a student. managing your finances takes practice and patience, but it's worth it because you will get to benefit from it even after you leave college.

rubesh

Valued Contributor
Thank you for sharing your experience and tips on how to fix a bad spending habit. I completely understand how challenging it can be to manage finances as a student, especially with the various expenses that come with education.

I completely agree with your suggestions, especially creating a budget and finding cheaper alternatives. It's essential to track your spending and have a plan in place to avoid overspending. And finding ways to save money on daily expenses can add up to significant savings over time.

Having self-control and discipline is also crucial in fixing a bad spending habit. It can be tempting to make impulse purchases or treat yourself to something you don't really need, but it's essential to prioritize your financial goals and stick to your budget.

I appreciate your advice on getting an accountability partner. It can be helpful to have someone to hold you accountable and offer support in managing your finances.

Overall, taking steps to fix a bad spending habit can be challenging, but it's worth it in the long run. By developing good financial habits early on, you can set yourself up for success and avoid financial stress down the road.

Regenerate response

Augusta

VIP Contributor
To fix this problem you need to start by creating a budget. You need to create one that is workable and you can also stick to it. Go ahead and list your income and even the methods of which you get your earning and list your expenses to help allocate a certain amount of money for your thrm.

The thing is for you not to just create this budget but to work solely with it if you want to achieve your sim.

Phantasm

Banned
To enhance personal finance, create a budget that is much practical, track your spending, know what you need rather than what you want, don’t overuse your credit card, adopt spending limits, abstain from impulsive buying, organize meals and snacks earlier on deciding in advance what to eat, look for discounts and special offers, create an emergency fund to deal with unexpected expenses, seek classes on financial management, get some part-time job cut down unnecessary subscriptions of various sorts of magazines; use cash envelopes for day to day expenditure; try delayed satisfaction and mindful socializing.

Come up with a realistic budget which will help you categorize your expenses into essential and non-essential ones and then keep track of how much you spend.