How to Choose a Company Name

arunima25

Verified member
I have always have a thought how Cocacola, Facebook and some other companies decide their company name. It almost took me a week to get a better company name for my offline business.
I did break my head for too long to find a name for my website. I failed a few times as the one chosen by me was already taken. And then finally ended up naming it the same as my offline venture of counseling parents and children. And it did serve the purpose. I just doubt that people might find it a bit tough to remember it. I am now spending time to decide a logo for it.
I have seen many turning to astrology and numerology before deciding on a name. That can be a big decisive factor for many out there. I have seen them adding extra letters or deleting some based on numerology, which they believe would bring them luck.

Samuel Orogun

The choice of a business name is very important and can have a significant impact on your business. Many people are put off by the idea of starting up their own company, simply because they think that it takes a lot of time and money to do so. Whilst this may be true in some situations, especially where the company has a high turnover of customers, it doesn't need to be. You don't need a great deal of cash to get started - and in most cases, even small start-up costs will be covered by existing revenue. If you're thinking about how to choose a company name, this article will show you how to choose a company name without breaking the bank.

In order to answer the question of how to choose a company name, you first need to determine what your brand is and what your product is, and how your product or brand is relevant to the audience you intend to serve. Once you've established these concepts, you'll then have an idea of how to choose a company name. It's always best to base your name around your company's industry or products.

how to choose a company name

For example, if you're a property-based business, you'll want to name your company something like 'Houses-in-uckland'. This way, anyone who comes to your office will know what you're talking about. Similarly, if you run a software based company, you'll want to choose a name such as 'Software-based-New- Zealand'. These names are so specific, that if somebody were to use them with a pen or paper, they'd immediately understand what it was. Once you've determined what you're going to call yourself and what you market, the next thing you need to do is to look at how much competition there is in the niche. Don't be afraid to ask your potential partners to come up with a few names to play with, and once you've narrowed down the field, you'll be able to tell how much work you're going to be doing.

The actual process of how to choose a company name is relatively easy, but it's important that you take your time. You wouldn't pick a punchline, or a name for your company without looking at the competition first. Think about how much time other potential partners spend looking around, and what kind of reaction you get from potential partners when they find out about your company name. Also consider how long it would take you to come up with a good company name. Remember that your first name could be chosen first, and you might have to give up some of your ideas later.

Now that you've got a name for your company, it's time to decide where you are going to put it. Remember that your name is something that your customers are going to have to remember, and it's something that you will want people to think about every single day if you want them to use your company name when they call you. For this reason, you want to put a lot of thought into where on your website you put the name. If you put it somewhere that is visually unappealing, or where it looks like you just threw it there haphazardly, people will not remember your company name and you will not be remembered.

It's also important to think about how to choose a company name from an SEO perspective. If you don't know anything about SEO, don't worry - there are plenty of companies out there who can help you get a head start in the right direction. Remember that you need to optimize your website in order to get as many search engine results as possible, and a great way to do this is through keywords. When you choose a company name, consider researching keywords related to your company and implementing a list of keywords into your name. This will help you get higher rankings and will make it easier for people to find you.​
Beautiful article!!!... Business names and slogans are very important and leave a good impression. Perfect company names have a unique and memorable impact on customers. Feel free to contact me to get beautiful business names at affordable and discounted prices at +2349019412112

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
Name do matter a lot, but normally I think we should accept a name that floats into us.

Once I wanted to open a vegetarian restaurant and even suggested some better names, but my family and relatives objected, they suggested to include non-veg and only proposed my Home name (or say pet name) for business, however, I did not agreed with it and dropped the idea of opening any restaurant.

Now I think any name will work as I see many common words are used for stores/restaurants etc.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Let me share how I concocted my business name. My first choice was Quantum Marketing or Quantum Computer Supplies. In the application for the name I had 3 alternates. Unfortunately all 4 business names were already taken. The liaison office advised me to think of a unique name. Okay, I settled for Almarcx which is my name that was mixed with my wife's name. The X as the last letter would make it unique. It was approved.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Your post is very comprehensive and educative as well. The pros and cons of choosing a business name, you have said it all. Choosing a business name could be a rigorous task most especially when the business is online based.
You will interact with your customers directly in offline business , but to establish an online presence , you need a sufficient SEO tools
This is lovely, for any business to stand the test of time it must have a befitting name right from its inception. So yes every business needs a name. for me I think it should always be short and simple for customers to easily grab and remember. It should also match what one wants to sell.

arunima25

Verified member
Hi arunima25! Yes, I think one good example Google. It's main company is Alphabet Inc. Another example I can give here is a company in our country, SM Investments Corporation. There are various businesses under this company such as SM Malls, BDO Bank and China Bank. Nestle, another company has more than 2,000 different brands including Kitkat and Espresso. Same with Nike and Apple. Well, actually there are many other companies with different brands.
Now that you mention it, I remember it being asked in one of the quizzes here in my daughter's school. Google is a top-rated brand and I know it would be a surprise for many to know that it has a different company name. And example of Nestle is so common but it just missed my mind. Thanks for sharing this interesting information.

Cinderella

So that comes as a surprise for me. I never thought that brand names and company names can be different. Yes, brand names need to be catchy. It would be interesting to know of a few examples where company names and brand names are different.
Hi arunima25! Yes, I think one good example Google. It's main company is Alphabet Inc. Another example I can give here is a company in our country, SM Investments Corporation. There are various businesses under this company such as SM Malls, BDO Bank and China Bank. Nestle, another company has more than 2,000 different brands including Kitkat and Espresso. Same with Nike and Apple. Well, actually there are many other companies with different brands.

Fecoms

Administrator
Staff member
Though I may be wrong but just as you mentioned in your post, your brand may determine your business name. Coca-Cola was initially made of cocaine. You knw it was sometimes called coke and we all know what coke is. It is produced initially for treatment rather than for refreshing. And Mark was trying to put the faces of all his ex classmates in a book, hence the name Facebook.
I just learnt something new from you. I never knew Cocacola was initially made from cocaine neither did I know its initial purpose.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I have always have a thought how Cocacola, Facebook and some other companies decide their company name. It almost took me a week to get a better company name for my offline business.
Though I may be wrong but just as you mentioned in your post, your brand may determine your business name. Coca-Cola was initially made of cocaine. You knw it was sometimes called coke and we all know what coke is. It is produced initially for treatment rather than for refreshing. And Mark was trying to put the faces of all his ex classmates in a book, hence the name Facebook.

Fecoms

Administrator
Staff member
The choice of a business name is very important and can have a significant impact on your business. Many people are put off by the idea of starting up their own company, simply because they think that it takes a lot of time and money to do so. Whilst this may be true in some situations, especially where the company has a high turnover of customers, it doesn't need to be. You don't need a great deal of cash to get started - and in most cases, even small start-up costs will be covered by existing revenue. If you're thinking about how to choose a company name, this article will show you how to choose a company name without breaking the bank.

In order to answer the question of how to choose a company name, you first need to determine what your brand is and what your product is, and how your product or brand is relevant to the audience you intend to serve. Once you've established these concepts, you'll then have an idea of how to choose a company name. It's always best to base your name around your company's industry or products.

how to choose a company name

For example, if you're a property-based business, you'll want to name your company something like 'Houses-in-uckland'. This way, anyone who comes to your office will know what you're talking about. Similarly, if you run a software based company, you'll want to choose a name such as 'Software-based-New- Zealand'. These names are so specific, that if somebody were to use them with a pen or paper, they'd immediately understand what it was. Once you've determined what you're going to call yourself and what you market, the next thing you need to do is to look at how much competition there is in the niche. Don't be afraid to ask your potential partners to come up with a few names to play with, and once you've narrowed down the field, you'll be able to tell how much work you're going to be doing.

The actual process of how to choose a company name is relatively easy, but it's important that you take your time. You wouldn't pick a punchline, or a name for your company without looking at the competition first. Think about how much time other potential partners spend looking around, and what kind of reaction you get from potential partners when they find out about your company name. Also consider how long it would take you to come up with a good company name. Remember that your first name could be chosen first, and you might have to give up some of your ideas later.

Now that you've got a name for your company, it's time to decide where you are going to put it. Remember that your name is something that your customers are going to have to remember, and it's something that you will want people to think about every single day if you want them to use your company name when they call you. For this reason, you want to put a lot of thought into where on your website you put the name. If you put it somewhere that is visually unappealing, or where it looks like you just threw it there haphazardly, people will not remember your company name and you will not be remembered.

It's also important to think about how to choose a company name from an SEO perspective. If you don't know anything about SEO, don't worry - there are plenty of companies out there who can help you get a head start in the right direction. Remember that you need to optimize your website in order to get as many search engine results as possible, and a great way to do this is through keywords. When you choose a company name, consider researching keywords related to your company and implementing a list of keywords into your name. This will help you get higher rankings and will make it easier for people to find you.​

arunima25

Verified member
You have nicely written article concerning naming a company. However, from what I understand, a company name and a brand name are two different things. Basically, company name is that one we use for our legal documents, while the brand name is the one we want to be known for. I believe, we can use different names for our company and brand name.

We can choose names that are catchy and interesting for our brand. Sometimes, brand names has no real meaning but became popular.
So that comes as a surprise for me. I never thought that brand names and company names can be different. Yes, brand names need to be catchy. It would be interesting to know of a few examples where company names and brand names are different.

Cinderella

You have nicely written article concerning naming a company. However, from what I understand, a company name and a brand name are two different things. Basically, company name is that one we use for our legal documents, while the brand name is the one we want to be known for. I believe, we can use different names for our company and brand name.

We can choose names that are catchy and interesting for our brand. Sometimes, brand names has no real meaning but became popular.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
When we decide to operate a business we should decide to operate on the business name that best describe our niche and location. We shouldn't choose different product and different company, you ready said it. Using different name and dealing on different products will cause confusion and make customers not to recognise our company and the kind of products we're specifically dealing on.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
I don't really know the reason behind the name, cocacola but facebook is quite understandable. The aim was to register the faces of friends,families and most importantly, the old college friend's whom may have departed for long . Facebook is meant to unite long-lost friends, since we can always recognize ourselves through our faces

Fecoms

Administrator
Staff member

arunima25

Verified member
That's a very well written article and quite informative. It's actually a tough job selecting the name for our business. I have been through that while getting one for my website. And many a times when we nail down some name, it might be already taken by others. The name should be easy and catchy so that people can remember it well. And it should reflect the service and product that it should provide. I would also avoid getting a similar name to some other one as it might create confusions and conflicts.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Your post is very comprehensive and educative as well. The pros and cons of choosing a business name, you have said it all. Choosing a business name could be a rigorous task most especially when the business is online based.
You will interact with your customers directly in offline business , but to establish an online presence , you need a sufficient SEO tools

Lonimi

You have said it all. I just want to add a bit if I'm allowed to. Businesses can't be businesses without a name, every business should have a name that aligns with the services or products such businesses are into. For example a business that involves braiding hair can't come up with a name that relates with a construction company. Every business need a name that aligns with the services they product. A hair salon business should have names like SalonXpress U, Sea Breesy Saon, and the likes. Apart from having a business name you also would want to have, a brand name, slogan or tagline for your business. And even a logo design, and I have got you covered. You can order for my gig now and you get 10 business names, brand names, slogan and taglines, and a free logo design for your business. In addition you also get a scriptwriting for your product. Order now!!!

Lonimi

Business names are extremely important and I help business pass through this hurdle. I can create business names for your business, order for my gig now