How to build a strong brand- The Guinness Example

Etini

Valued Contributor

Branding is a crucial aspect of any business, and it's what sets a company apart from its competitors. A strong brand can establish a company's reputation, build customer loyalty, and drive sales. One excellent example of successful branding is Guinness, the Irish brewery known for its iconic stout.

Guinness has been around for over 250 years, and its brand is instantly recognizable thanks to its distinctive black and gold label, font, and harp logo. The company has also mastered the art of marketing and has run memorable ad campaigns over the years, such as the "Guinness is Good for You" slogan from the 1920s.

But Guinness' branding goes beyond just its logo and advertising. The company has a strong commitment to sustainability and social responsibility, which is reflected in its corporate values and actions. For example, Guinness has invested in renewable energy sources, water conservation, and supporting local communities.

This commitment to social and environmental responsibility has helped to further strengthen the Guinness brand and has contributed to the company's success. It's clear that Guinness understands the value of a strong brand and has worked hard to cultivate and maintain its reputation over the years.

Other companies can take a leaf from the Guinness Brand Development Model.

Hasan12

Guinness is a well-known brand that has been successful in building a strong brand identity. Here are a few key strategies that have contributed to Guinness' brand success:

1. Consistency in visual identity: Guinness has a strong and recognizable visual identity, featuring its iconic black and white harp logo and distinctive font. This consistency in visual identity helps to create a strong brand association and recognition.
  2. Heritage and tradition: Guinness has a long history dating back to 1759, and it has effectively leveraged its heritage and tradition in its branding and marketing efforts. This helps to create a sense of authenticity and trustworthiness.
  3. Unique product: Guinness is known for its unique taste, dark color, and creamy texture. This helps to create a strong brand association and differentiation from other beers.
  4. Emotional connection: Guinness has effectively used emotional storytelling in its advertising campaigns, highlighting the brand's heritage and the emotional connection people have to the brand.
  5. Consistency in communication: Guinness has consistently communicated its brand message across all its marketing efforts, whether it's through advertising, packaging, or events. This helps to create a strong brand image and recognition.
  6. Innovative Marketing: Guinness has been known to use innovative marketing campaigns that connect with their target audience. Guinness has been known to use experiential marketing, digital campaigns and collaborations that helped to build the brand.
  7. Community Building: Guinness has been known to be actively involved in community building and cultural events, this helps to establish a deeper connection with their target audience and helps to build a stronger brand.
It's important to note that building a strong brand takes time, effort, and consistency. It's important to understand your target audience, define your brand message and values, and consistently communicate and execute them across all your marketing efforts.

Etini

Valued Contributor
The quality of its products is one of the main reasons for the brand's sustainability. The use of high-quality ingredients, strict adherence to traditional brewing methods, and a commitment to consistency in taste and appearance are key factors that have contributed to the brand's longevity.

I have entered a guiness brewery before and I have to say that you would be amazed by the state of the art facilities that are available there. This company is committed to quality at all levels.

I also heard that the company pays it's staff very well. I am sure you can't get that kind of creativity with poor pay.

IB D

When I see their adverts during EPL matches, I am always wowed by the sheer creativity they display in their adverts. That's to tell you that if that is just an advert, what goes into production is too class. I respect the Guinness brand so much.

And they are sensitive enough not to joke with Corporate Social Responsibility You feel their presents accross communities in Africa. Truly, the example of Guinness Inc is worth emulating. I hardly hear that they are involved in any scandal or fight. Their staff are well rrnumerrayed. I have never heard strike in Guineas before. Hats off to them.

cmoneyspinner

The key to building your brand is starting and staying! You noted that Guinness has been around for 250 years. Fortunatly, you don't have to be around for that many years. But you do have to be around long enough to establish a track record. I've heard that within the first 5 years, anybody who starts any business will know if they have staying power. And if you have "staying power", then you most certainly can work diligently on buidling your brand name. The key in my last statement is "diligently". You have to be diligent, along with detemined and consistent in the high quality of whatever it is that you offer.

IB D

The key to building your brand is starting and staying! You noted that Guinness has been around for 250 years. Fortunatly, you don't have to be around for that many years. But you do have to be around long enough to establish a track record. I've heard that within the first 5 years, anybody who starts any business will know if they have staying power. And if you have "staying power", then you most certainly can work diligently on buidling your brand name. The key in my last statement is "diligently". You have to be diligent, along with detemined and consistent in the high quality of whatever it is that you offer.
What you are saying is quite true. Longevity is one of the elements that define a brand. Most of the recognized brands that we celebrate today didn't just start today and become celebrated. They have been around for a long time.

In my state, the Tantalizers brand is celebrated widely. It is not a co-incidence that they are being celebrated now. I knew Tantalizers way back since 2009 in Lagos. It's now that they are being celebrated across my region.

This is a lesson to our young entrepreneurs on persistence. It's tempting to feel like giving up. You don't have to. Just hang in there.