Business Ideas How to Become a Digital Nomad

How to Become a Digital Nomad​

Introduction​

I used to think that being a digital nomad was something you did only when you were young, broke and free. But after traveling around the world for three years as a digital nomad (and spending most of my time in Thailand), I've realized that it's possible to live this lifestyle even if you're working full-time. Here are my tips on how to become a digital nomad:

Set a Budget​

As you're planning your travels, it's important to set a budget. This can be tricky when you're starting out and don't know what the cost of living will be in each place you visit.

To help with this, I created a spreadsheet that calculates monthly expenses for various places around the world based on available data from Nomad Capitalist (the site where I got my info). You'll need an internet connection so that Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel can access your data and even then it will take some time before the calculations are done!

Choose Your Gear​

• Choose a laptop that is compatible with your OS of choice.
  • Select a laptop with an extended battery life.
  • Choose a laptop that is light and portable.
  • Choose a laptop with a long warranty (at least 1 year).

Get a Base-camp Apartment​

You’re going to need a base-camp apartment. This is where you’ll spend most of your time, so it needs to be comfortable, easy to maintain and clean, and have all the amenities we listed above. If you plan on spending most of your time in this location (which seems like a good idea), then it should be somewhere close by so that you can walk or bike to work or class every day.

To get yourself an ideal base-camp apartment:

• Find one with Wi-Fi and Netflix access it will make life easier when traveling abroad!

Develop a Routine​

It's important to develop a routine for your day. You should set goals for the day and make sure that you have a good night’s sleep. In addition, it's important to eat healthy meals and take time to relax after work. For example:

• I wake up at 7:30am every morning so I can start my morning commute in 20 minutes or less (this keeps me from being late). My commute consists of walking from my apartment building down the stairs and across the street into traffic where I get on public transportation until my stop where I get off again at another intersection before finally arriving home around 8pm each night.

Find Community​

Finding a community is key to being a digital nomad. The best way to do this is by finding groups of people who are like-minded, have common interests and goals in life, and have a common vision for their future.

You can find these communities online through forums or social media (such as Facebook groups). You may also want to check out Meetup if you're based in Europe; it's an online forum where people get together physically for face-to-face meetings at meetups around the world!

Use Local Resources​

• Use local resources to save money. If you're traveling, it's easy to get caught up in the trappings of luxury. But there are ways to save money while still enjoying yourself on the road:
  • Use local resources to find good deals. There are many travel sites that can help you book hotels and flight tickets at discounted prices, or even sell them outright! Some of these sites include Expedia, Priceline and Travelocity.
  • Use local resources as a resource for finding places with cheap places nearby where you can sleep or eat cheaply (or both). Airbnb is another great resource if this is what interests you most; they offer hundreds of thousands of listings worldwide! You'll also want to keep an eye out for other options like Couchsurfing or Hostelworld so that when it comes time for one night's rest after your long journey from A

Open Any Bank Account That Doesn't Have ATM Fees​

• Use a credit card for purchases, and pay off the balance at the end of the month.
  • Use a debit card for cash withdrawals, and keep track of your spending in an app or spreadsheet that you can access on your phone or computer when you’re offline (for example, if you’re traveling).

It's fun to travel the world, but it's still hard work.​

Many people think that being a digital nomad is all about traveling around the world and having fun. But it's not that simple. You need to work hard if you want to be a successful digital nomad, especially if your goal is long-term travel or relocation.

You need to build a routine and stick with it, it may seem like a lot of work at first but once you're used to your daily routine, it becomes easier every day until eventually even taking breaks becomes second nature!

As well as finding community within other digital nomads (and their families), there are also plenty of resources available online; some great places include:

Conclusion​

We hope that this guide has helped you understand the world of digital nomads. If you’ve been thinking about making the move to the digital nomad lifestyle, then congratulations! Your dream is closer than ever. All that’s left for us at Nomad List is to wish you well on your journey and offer some final tips for staying safe while traveling abroad.