How to Avoid Scams as a Freelancer

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Many years ago, when I was new to working online, someone offered me a job through social media. After I finished the work and asked for payment, the person disappeared without paying me. I learned from this and started asking for payment upfront for my next job. The next client paid me half upfront, but then vanished after I completed the work, leaving me unpaid for the rest. Even someone I regularly worked with scammed me. They had always paid me in full before, so I didn't ask for upfront payment this time. But sadly a person who had hired me dozens of times and always paid full disappeared without paying. These days I always ask for entire payment upfront. I ask clients to use an escrow service for payment, so that he and I can work without worrying about the job and payment. Escrow can be costly for small payment, therefore, for small jobs, I ask clients to hire me through Fiverr.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Sometimes even when you are paid by the clients, he might file charge backs if you have used paypal. YOu might lose the money because paypal always favors buyers. Therefore, avoiding paypal payment or if you have to use it, asking the client to send you a hand written receipt can help you avoid paypal dispute. Using crypto payment can alkso be a good option to avoid chargebacks. The best option is certainly asking the client to hire you through freelancing platforms as the platform will help you secure funds