How government can encourage agriculture in Nigeria.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
One of my thread posted earlier I made known some of the problems faced by farmers in West Africa . Some of these problems include poor land tenure system , inadequate financial credit facilities , poor transportation system , inadequate farm input , inadequate storage and processing facilities , farmers illiteracy , unavailability of basic amenities , usage of crude implement , unfavourable climate conditions , poor technical know-how , farm products pest and disease , poor marketing system , inconsistent government policies , lack of research , natural disasters , and social /economic instability etc . They are both problems sum up the major challenges and obstruction faced by farmers in West Africa . It would be unwise if we only talk about the problems rather than also considering it solutions . Below are some of the ways government can help farmers bear their problems :

RURAL ROAD CONSTRUCTION : most farmers in West Africa do well in rural areas and sometimes faced with the problem of transporting this farm output to the urban areas . government can help in this case by building feeder roads that leads rural areas with urban areas together , thereby facilitating and enabling the free flow of farm outputs .

ESTABLISHMENT OF AGRICULTURAL BANKS : most farmers in developing countries are faced with the problem of insufficient capital or lack of funds to facilitate their farm practices and activities there by going into large-scale agricultural production . The government can come to the aid by establishing agricultural Banks and give them the authority to give out loans and grant to farmers at a reduced interest rate so as to boost the practice of Agriculture .

I was taught in school on several occasions that agriculture is very old as man and not a lot of people know this because at the culture as in today have been neglected by many individuals and some individuals have the mindset and view that engaging in agricultural plant in and rearing of farm animals is absolutely for broke and poor individuals or individuals who are still acquainted with the act of ancient living . I stand before you today it will tell you that that is absolutely wrong because a lot of people have become rich and wealthy just by engaging in agricultural practices but the disc is industrial agriculture . Whether we like it or not I will culture can never be totally neglected because according to research and studies it is advised that in every 10 people 5% of them actually own a farmland which is absolutely and relatively true .

The government have a very important part to play in encouraging the act of Agriculture and one of the ways the government can help in promoting agriculture is by the building of governmental banks and give them the authority to help interested ones who are poised and motivated to engage in agricultural practices in order to make money . The government can also help by providing social amenities like good roots so that farm produce can easily and effectively be transported from one area to another possibly from the farm where they are produced to the final consumers .