How Do You Deal With More Than One Boss?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Many people have a really hard time dealing with a single boss. However, there are many times where you have more than one boss over you and this thing is much usual and common in many kinds of organization. I used to work for such a kind of organization where they had over three bosses over me and even many supervisors. Most of the mosses were okay and not too strict but it seems that not everyone is that lucky. There are many times where you have more than one boss over you and you have to deal with them. So have you ever been in such a kind of situation where you were supposed to deal with more than one boss? Please share your views here.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This happened to me when I was general manager of a Japanese software house. Out presidents trusted me but he trusted our translator more. When I have some instructions that would be invalidated by the translator our project managers get confused. They would come to me to clarify. All I could do was to apologize because the translator is the right-hand man of our president who owns the company.

arunima25

Verified member
That is a very common scenario/ Most corporates and companies around work on a hierarchical structure. So unless you are in the topmost hierarchy or one below it, you are going to have few layers above you and so more than one boss. But your real boss is the one you are directly reporting to. And under certain circumstances depending on the type of work and position you hold you might be reporting to more than one. It might be challenging to deal but the best situation is to stick to professionalism and work ethics.