How about investing in artworks?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Before the pandemic I was invited to see the gallery of a friend of my artist friend. The gallery is the convergence zone of artists in that city and I was surprised that there are so many artworks there. To be frank, I am not good in arts and I have to admit that I have no keen eyes for artworks. But I admired the artworks there. Not only paintings but also small sculpture, artwork on bottles, cloth streamers and many others. In this pandemic era my mind is on that gallery this morning because of what I had read in one magazine that artworks can be a good investment. You buy it now for a cheap price and later on it may have a value that you have not imagined.

Putting $1,000 for an investment is a moderate sum for me. The problem now is what artwork to buy. I am not fond of paintings and drawings. I am more attracted to sculpture and mix media. Maybe it is a good investment because my plan is for the artwork to serve as decoration in our living room. That means my investment has a function and not just like gold that is kept in the vault.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Investing in artworks is not as difficult as you may think. Art is an investment, not just a decoration! It can be hard to know where to begin, but don't fret. We'll break it down for you.

First, ask yourself: what are your goals? Do you want to make money? Do you care more about the emotional value of the artwork? Are you looking for something that will appreciate over time, or do you just want to buy something that speaks to you? Once you have a better idea of what your priorities are, the next step is actually finding artworks. You can go to galleries and shows, or check out online collections. In addition to the more standard places, artworks can also be found in auctions, estate sales, and even yard sales!

Once you find something that speaks to you, do some research on it. Remember: even if it's not "valuable" right now, there's a chance its value could skyrocket in a few years. If it was made by someone who has been recognized by critics and the community at large as an up-and-coming artist (or even one who has already made it big), chances are good that their work will increase in value over time.