General insurance Health Insurance in Nigeria

Shaf

Verified member
When you have a health insurance, the insurance company will pay part of your medical bills for medical procedures, surgical procedures, drugs or dental procedures depending on what is in their policy. You pay a premium, which is usually deducted from your salary or paid as stipulated into the insurance company's account at intervals.

In Nigeria, employees of the federal and state government are the ones mostly benefiting from this. This is managed through HMO's and you pay 10% of most bills incurred in the hospital while 90% is paid by them. It typically caters for you, your spouse and four dependents.

While it's a very nice program, it has its flaws which make some people to opt out of it. Some people claim they've never used it since they rarely fall ill, while some dislike the rigorous verification process each time you go to the hospital.

Recently, I've seen some hospitals introduce health insurance for non government employees. I've been considering it once I get a job with stable income.