Get a fast food franchise or sell your own food product

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This topic is about the pros and cons of getting a franchise against opening for an original food business. When we go on a trip our usual haunt for a meal or snacks is a franchise fast food. The reason is the taste of the food is already familiar with our taste buds. However, not all fast food outlets have the same quality although this is an isolated case. With an original food the restaurant may not easily attract diners because the food will always be in question.

For a business owner I would go for an original food if I am sure that our menu is more superior in taste. But I would need a big budget to promote my restaurant so that the public will get to know of our menu. A franchise is a big gamble because you have to shell out at least $20,000 for the franchise fee that has no guarantee. I have a friend who lost in a franchise and there’s also another franchise that closed near our village.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I think selling your own food item is better than selling someone else recipe. If you want to get a fast food franchise, you will have to pay a lot of money just for using the name and brand. However, if you launch your own food business, you can use that money, which otherwise would be sent to the franchise owner, to advertise.