Early Retirement or normal Retirement, which is better?

raaman

Valued Contributor
Early Retirement or normal Retirement, which is better?

Having the right job can keep you physically active, give you a purpose in life, stimulate creativity, and socially engaged, all the essential elements for longevity and brain health. A study explored early retirement in terms of long life, and brain health. It suggested that early retirement may contribute to early death.

The study found that retired, healthy individuals are eleven percent less likely to die early. In addition to it, those with health problems, also lived longer, if they delayed retirement compared to early retirees. Another study found that normal retirement can prevent Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia.

Even though, this study outlines the benefits of retiring later in life, in an alternative study, from another country, it is not retirement age that affects longevity, but rather the health of that person when they retire. Variations in study results indicate a fundamental problem with this type of study.

It becomes difficult to determine, as to which came first, whether it was the retirement of the individual, or his health issues. The other problem is that pensions affect different groups of people in a different manner. This is why some may retire early, while others may retire later.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I am a freelancer and I plan to work as long as my health permits. Even if I had a job, I don't think I would retire early. In my country, the retirement age is 60 years, if I had a job and if I had to retire at the age of 60, I think I would join another company and continue working. If no one hired me I would start a business. However, there are conditions attached to continuous work. First and foremost, I must be in a condition to work, I mean I should be physically and mentally fit to work, secondly, the pay should be better because I cannot risk my health in my old age by working for peanuts.
Working for me is not just about making money, it is also about remaining physically and mentally fit. My father retired at the age of 60 from his teaching job. Since he had nothing to do, he started feeling bored. Then one day I discovered that he was addicted to gambling, he even picked up drinking. His children decided to get him engaged with some work. That's how we found him a salesman job in a company founded by his daughter's husband. He is still working.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
The the answer to this question actually depends on the retiree intentions . It is okay for an individual to retire as a result of old age or as a result of the company or business organisation he or she works for telling him to retire because he has reached the retirement age . But when an individual who tires from his work early they must be a backup intention why he does so . If the individual retirees from his employment or job as a result of finding another huge bigger and prestigious job elsewhere with high attractive salary whom he or she has been allotted to then it is advisable that the individual can retire from his or her present job .

There are others reasons why an individual may choose to retire from his or her present job , sometimes an individual may choose to retire just to be more involved in his family members and children's matter . He or she may choose to retire as a result of not being taken serious or being shown negative behaviours like prejudice , discrimination , and bias in his present place of work , and so due to the fact that he cannot take this negative attitude anymore he or she may choose to retire .

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My issue with retirement is the boredom that can probably cause some health issues. When my father was 80 he was still working as a bank security guard. He said that retirement might make him weak and eventually be sick. He enjoyed earning money even just for the sake of working so we have come to terms with that. Why retire when the worker doesn’t want to retire? In my case it is the heavy traffic on the main roads every day that was giving me excessive stress. My wife advised me to quit working. I was only 62 when I retired but I guess I would be sick if I continued working. It is actually not the work that mattered but the travel. If only there was work from home already during that time I would probably not retire early. Now I am just doing house chores, errands and online posting to earn some coins. At least I am somehow occupied. Being idle is not really good for the mental health.