Does the landlord have the right to ask for emergency rent?

Etini

Valued Contributor
This is a common practice in my country though. A person has just paid his annual rent to the landlord. And the person still has a very long time before the rent duration expires. And the landlord has a pressing financial problem somewhere along the line. Is it legal for the landlord to tell the tenant to extend his rental duration even when the last paid rent is a long way to expire.

Would it be right for the landlord to pressure the tenant to extend the rent so that he, the landlord can use the money to solve his own financial problems. Would you extend the rent unplanned if you were to be in that shoe?

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
A standard practice is giving 30 days advance notice, you cannot evict your renters immediately and you also cannot leave the rented property immediately without giving advance notice. If the landlord has to evict you, he will have to give you 30 days advance notice, if you want to leave the property, you will also have to give 30 days advance notice. However, this rule can be imposed only when you have a written agreement where the both parties agree to these terms. Written agreement is necessary.

Hennie

Legality aside, pressuring someone to extend their rent early for personal financial reasons doesn't sit right with me. I believe both parties should stick to the terms agreed upon initially. If I were the tenant, I'd probably want to stick to the original plan unless there was some mutual benefit or understanding in extending early.