Do all businesses need to have an online presence?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
The whole world has completely changed from what it used to be and this is especially obvious in terms of technological advancement that has made everything to go Digital already.
Businesses also are trying their best to make sure they have a strong presence online for themselves so as not to be left behind.
But I want us to share if it is really necessary for all forms of businesses to create an online presence or not.

My reason for thinking this way is there there seem to be some businesses that thrive better offline without any online presence, but experts still think having an online presence would present additional benefits to one's business in a way they have never thought possible.

I think what those experts say is very true and all businesses ought to make sure they are not just having a strong presence offline, but try and get some online presence.
This may not necessarily mean one should own a website for their business, but even a Facebook page or any other social media platform is enough at least to let some people be able to reach out for your services without any hindrance as some customers usually search online for any service before knowing the offline locations.

What do you think

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Yes, all businesses need to have an online presence.

To many people, the Internet is a source of entertainment and a way to connect with friends and family. But to many other people, it's their primary source of information on a given topic. The Internet is also the primary source of comparison shopping, and some businesses are even able to make sales exclusively online.

And while these are the most obvious things the Internet provides for businesses, there are also less-obvious benefits: for example, some companies choose to spend more money on advertising online than in print or radio because it allows them to reach a wider audience without going outside of their comfort zone, or because it is less expensive than direct mail.

The bottom line is that as a business owner, you definitely want to own your own online presence, even if you don't do much business online yet.

However, It depends on the business. Very small businesses may not need an online presence, but for large businesses, it is almost a necessity. The internet has now become an integral part of our culture, so it's hard to imagine life without it.

Rachael

Verified member
Yes, I think it is necessary for virtually all business to have an online presence. The covid-19 pandemic taught each of us vital lessons most especially the business owners who had no online presence. It was chaos and it made them dwell in a state of confusion and dismay. Those who already had an online presence found it easier to utilize the opportunity and presence they had already built. The online presence is even much more cost-effective and the ecosystem was crowded during the pandemic. There is a common mistake that business owners kept omitting which is the refusal to accept that challenges and even losses are inevitable at some point in business. Without acceptance of this knowledge, they fail to input some techniques which could help to salvage problems in the future and this was exactly the reality with the pandemic. Building an online presence especially for a brand is not easy but you ca start out with the social media platforms which is much accessible to a higher population of people. The online presence too has its disadvantages but the risks is or can be better salvaged online. When I own a business, in the business plan, one of my objectives would be to create an online presence.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Not at all, especially those ones that operates locally in the rural areas. Not everyone will come there to patronize your business, if you're operating a business in the rural area, like, selling food stuffs, selling mini restaurants, selling fresh agricultural produces. But if you're doing pay before delivery kind of business, wholesale business, you need online presence for your business. Even some retail business needs online presence as well in order to grow membership/customers and drive much better sales. Almost every business needs online presence to attract more customers to sell on a high volume. But, we have the ones that needs online marketing to progress especially those pay before delivery business.

Abee111

Online presence in a business is very very important now a days. Especially now that the world is turning to a digital and global world where everything is now online. Without online, it will be hard for u to know what is happening in the world market.
Business having online presence helps them to advertise their produced where it could not reach in the world, also makes sales online. If not technology, there is no any other way to make sales while the buyer is somewhere and trust you. No
But with the technological advancement, it makes everything possible. To me I encourage every business to have their own business website for advertising their product and for sales. It will also brings another revenue to him that creates another income to him again.
People will have global access 24 hours, a day, 7 days in week.
Just what you need to do in your business online is to improve clients services through greater flexibility to attract more customers and your market online will be effective.

Caramelle

An online presence will benefit most businesses, especially those that are looking forward to growing and expanding. However, depending on the location and scope of the business, some may not need an online presence at all. If your business is collecting people's junk from their houses and your target customers are in rural areas with low internet usage, would an online presence benefit your business? Most likely not. In general, though, an online presence is helpful in promoting local businesses. One of the simplest ways to have an online presence is through Google Maps. Besides helping people reach your location, Google Maps provides tools for sharing your business profile as well as the highlights of your business. It also provides a basic interface for connecting with your audience.​