Contribution of agriculture to economic development in Africa!

Mellorando

Banned
Agriculture is by far the single most important economic activity in Africa. It provides employment for about two-thirds of the continent's working population and for each country contributes an average of 30 to 60 percent of gross domestic product and about 30 percent of the value of exports.Agriculture also provides an expanding market for the products of the other sectors in the initial stages of development of the economy. Agricultural sector, while helping the development of the other sectors, also finds the income of its people increasing.
In Nigeria, Farming did eventually emerge independently in West Africa at about 3000 BCE. It first appeared in the fertile plains on the border between present-day Nigeria and Cameroon. ... The first efforts to domesticate plants in West Africa started slowly. Eventually, West Africans began to settle and grow their food full-time.

Below are different ways in which our culture has impacted Nigeria throughout the past years:

1. Develop high-yield crops
Increased research into plant breeding, which takes into account the unique soil types of Africa, is a major requirement. A dollar invested in such research by the consortium of agricultural research centres is estimated to yield six dollars in benefits.

2. Boost irrigation
With the growing effects of climate change on weather patterns, more irrigation will be needed. Average yields in irrigated farms are 90% higher than those of nearby rain-fed farms.

3. Increase the use of fertilizers
As soil fertility deteriorates, fertilizer use must increase. Governments need to ensure the right type of fertilizers are available at the right price, and at the right times. Fertilizer education lessens the environmental impact and an analysis of such training programs in East Africa found they boosted average incomes by 61%.

4. Improve market access, regulations, and governance
Improving rural infrastructure such as roads is crucial to raising productivity through reductions in shipping costs and the loss of perishable produce. Meanwhile, providing better incentives to farmers, including reductions in food subsidies, could raise agricultural output by nearly 5%.

5. Make better use of information technology
Information technology can support better crop, fertilizer and pesticide selection. It also improves land and water management, provides access to weather information, and connects farmers to sources of credit. Simply giving farmers information about crop prices in different markets has increased their bargaining power. Esoko, a provider of a mobile crop information services, estimates they can boost incomes by 10-30%.

6. Adopt genetically modified (GM) crops
The adoption of GM crops in Africa remains limited. Resistance from overseas customers, particularly in Europe, has been a hindrance. But with Africa’s rapid population growth, high-yield GM crops that are resistant to weather shocks provide an opportunity for Africa to address food insecurity.

Agriculture the backbone of human existence. As an agricultural entrepreneur from Cameroon, i am proud to say i am sustaining lives. I encourage us all to go into agriculture. Try to have even a small garden around you. This same aspect also goes a long way sustaining our climate

Agriculture is very important to our country because the Philippines is claimed to be an agricultural country. But we are importing rice from time to time so I don't consider our country to be really agricultural. The average age of farmers here is more than 50 years old which means in a few years time there will be no more farmers. No problem, said one economist in jest, because the farms are also vanishing in favor of residential villages and other places like parks. Without agriculture how can the country eat? We cannot rely on importing because it is expensive and worse, our farm harvest are being disadvantaged with the cheap prices of imported agricultural products. During summer when there is plenty of farm harvest the economy seems to be moving forward. But only during summer.

There are three basic needs of the human race globally as at today and this needs has been the fundamental needs since times immemorial, they include the need for food, shelter and clothing. Man and animals in general has been battling with this insatiable need ever since life came into existence. Out of these three basic needs food stands out from the pack as no life will ever exist on the planet without food. And ever since then the culture on how to produce food and preserve food has passed down from one generation to the next.

Agriculture as I understand is the cultivation and rearing of plant and animals for the use of man and other animals aswel. Agriculture goes beyond the cultivation of farms, it touches other areas such as food processing and extraction of raw materials for industrial uses aswel. As it is known early technology of farming began in ancient Egypt then it was all about farming and then irritation farming was also introduced. The technology of farming and rearing of plant and animals spread to other parts of the world from Egypt.

Food production and processing is essential for live to continue on earth, and ag the same time agriculture brings about economic stability and growth to any country that engages in it. Agriculture is the bedrock of the world.

Agriculture has helped in the development of African economy in areas like employment opportunity, self sufficiency in food production and as a major source of revenue generation I.e,exporting of both food and cash crops.

I also live in an agricultural country, as the industrial sector has never been developed in my place. There are many people who apt to become farmers, as it is their family business. My country mostly exports agricultural products to other countries. I think that agriculture could play a big role to combat unemployment in the country. However, I believe that the government should do something for the farmers. It is very important to provide subsidy to the farmers and provide them with the required equipment that are necessary to carry out farming activities. Just imagine how much revenue the country could generate if the system works well. Unfortunately, due to corruption of government officers, many people are not able to improve this sector.

Land grabbing is also a big issue many farmers face in the country. Despite having suitable weather and conditions for agriculture and farming, the government does nothing to do to promote growth of this industry. A lack of sufficient amount of funds is also a big problem for many agriculturists. I think that in this case foreign funding could be helpful to some extent and faithful government servants should be employed in this field. Otherwise, there is no hope for any improvement.

Their is no hiding to what agriculture can bring to Africa,even the entire world. Here in the past in my country, it was just agriculture and no other means of livelihood for the people. By then my grand parents simply delved into it and used it to sponsor their children to school which is my biological parents. And even build a living house for themselves, but today it isn't like that. Our government have diversified into crude oil mining country, and most people have dumped agricultural works, saying, it is a hard labour they wouldn't suffer too much to make a living. Truth be told, the date of agriculture is better off than now, because their was lots of food to feed from, and the prices of food sticks aren't high like today, due to its surplus production where everyone is into it. If the Govt of my country will look into agriculture and improve it drastically well, implement modern facilities and assist farmers, deploy more manpower to help to speed the production of agricultural produces, then it is believing that things will get better off than now. And the rate of inflation and even unemployment will reduce for sure.