Common Mistakes in Saving Money

Suba

Staff member
Many people think that because he has a small income, it is impossible to save, it is always not enough to meet his daily needs and the money will always run out at the end of the month and even a lot of income is not sufficient for his life. Many people try to save even though they only use used cans, biscuits but they always fail to save money, here are some common mistakes people often make in saving money:
1. Saving=Income -Expense
If you have to wait for the balance of Income minus Exprense it will always be zero at the end of the month. So the above formula should be reversed to Income-saving = expense. By taking the money first for saving, then you can spend the available money balance. Ideally the money taken to save is 10% -20% of your income, but if it is not possible you can reduce the number above.
2. Thinking, Small Income is impossible to save
Many people also think that because of their small income they deserve not to save, Never underestimate the habit of saving, even if only saving change in used cans, food, because besides we can improve good habits and discipline
3. No Targets and Reasons to Save
People who save must have a target for example to buy a house, motorbike, car or for old age and saving must also have a reason why they have to save.
4. Consumptive habits
Although it seems that only small daily expenses such as drinking coffee at a coffee shop, eating at a good restaurant, happy to shop, of course if you add up every month the value for money will look great. Another habit is to look for discounted items in online marketplaces, even though they look cheap but do you need the item.

To increase your income, of course you can look for other sources of income in your spare time such as joining Trendri forums, making snacks to sell or opening a coffee shop. To be not wasteful or consumptive we must always remember how difficult it is to earn and collect money so we must always save money. And finally, when is the right time to start saving?
The answer is now.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
I think the first mentality is the reason why a majority of the people find it difficult to save money and this include me. I prefer to pay everyone else before I decided to save money. All this happens until I started reading book by Robert kiyosaki. I discovered in the book that I need to pay myself first then put all my expenses the remaining money left.

Good luck

Verified member
It is always hard to save money especially in this economy that we are.It takes courage to be able to save money.one must deny oneself a lot of things though human want are insatiable nut one must follow the rules of economics which says you have to buy only what is important and tactful at every point in time to avoid unnecessary spending which can make one to save

kayode10

VIP Contributor
One of the reason why I am unable to save is because I buy things on impulse. Once I have money with me, if I see any of the things I like I am going to bite it outright. The reason is that I don't want to feel missing out in the things that are like. I develop the habit of savings when the things I want to is out of my capacity at present. But I am planning to make savings my habitual action.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Most time, saving is difficult especially in some part of African countries. This is because the currency is not stable. You can imagine someone that have saved $1000 which worth ₦50000 as at now in the parallel market but just around ₦42000 at official rate because of inflation. So inflation as well is one of the problems of saving.

Mika

VIP Contributor
A lot of people believe that they have to first pay the bills buy everything they need and if they still have spare money, they can save that money. However, saving does not work in this way. You will have to first save some portion o your income and manage your expenses and bills with what ever is left