Charity works cannot end poverty!

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
There are a lot of poor people right now in our world, and it seems as though the number is getting on the increase as the Years go by .

Sometimes, it is usually the government of such countries where these people originate from that would be made to take the responsibility for how the poverty rate keeps rising, because of unfavorable policies they have continued to make, or the high level of corruption going on in such a country .

The mistake that our world is doing today is to think that doing charity works would go to some extent in reducing the poverty rate .
The obvious reality here is the fact that, most of the charity activities going on are not in any way reducing the poverty rate at all .

It seems as though most of this charity works are only encouraging the people to have entitlement mentality, and not think about how to make the money themselves and sustain themselves and their families .

I am of the opinion that more energy should be focused towards making sure that people get empowered, and taught how they can make this money themselves, via several skills acquisition programs .

What do you think?

Rachael

Verified member
I quite agree with you that, charity work cannot end poverty. I have seen a situation, where money is raised for charity yet there is no positive change in their standard of living and at times, those in charge of managing them might not be honest or trustworthy and they tend to syphon the money raised. Even, a typical example is when money is raise for all these beggars on the road yet they refuse to take their lives seriously.

There is a time two years ago, where money was raised for a poor beggar so he could stop begging on the streets, he should have counted himself lucky because there are may others roaming the streets yet he was picked and contributions were made for him which is enough to rent him a good house and set up a business. Surprisingly, few months after the donations were made, this same man was still caught at the junction close to a traffic light begging and he was summoned by one of the key donators and queried why he should engage in such act. To me, it invariably means that, poverty is actually the state of the mind because he got use to position his mindset that he must remain a beggar and therefore it is totally impossible to end poverty.