Can your employer punish you for your personal/ family issues?

Etini

Valued Contributor
This happened to a friend of mine. He went to work and did not get back home at the close of work. He is a married man. He didn't spend the night at home. The following morning, his wife went to his office and reported him to his boss. The boss investigated the matter and found out he slept out with a lady. He was sent on two months' suspension.

My question is, "does your employer have the right to punish you for things that are outside of the workplace". If they have such powers, why? Is it not probing into an employee's personal life?

I think it is completely wrong for an organization to interfere with your personal life. That is beyond the scope of your engagement with them. I would not submit my personal life to scrutiny by the organization I work for. My engagement with an organization is restricted to working hours.

I think it depends on the situation though, in the case of your friend, i believe he probably used work as an excuse, which made the wife report the issue to boss in the first place. So looking at it from this angle, the company has already been involved, which could be as doing damaging the image of the company. Generally speaking, your employer does not have the right to interfer with matters concerning your life outside the office, as long as it does not affect your ability to work or you duties in the office.