Be Aware of Iron Poisoning and avoid it

raaman

Valued Contributor
Iron poisoning take place when too much iron builds up in the body. It can happen either naturally or by accident. The toxic effects of too much iron get worse over a period of time. It can even lead to death.

Iron poisoning is always a medical emergency and is particularly dangerous in children. Iron is very essential in most of the body's biological systems and is particularly important for blood circulation. However, too much iron supplements can cause iron poisoning.

Meat and some vegetables contain iron, and it is available in a lot of over-the-counter and unregulated supplements too. Iron poisoning can be caused by taking too much iron supplements, a child taking an adult dose, and through blood transfusions.

Iron poisoning? I have not heard of this because my thought was that iron is good for the body . Anything in excess could be regarded as a poisoning and it has adverse effect on the body. I will take note of this in my delicacy. Making Sure everything is balanced and not in excess. I do know that too much consumption of red meat is bad

Iron poisoning is something that I am hearing for the first time. I am sure not many people are suffering from this problem because majority of the people are actually iron defecient. I do not think that you should worry about iron poisoning until or unless you overdose on iron supplement. Eating a lots of fruits and vegetables that are a rich source of iron would not lead to iron poisoning.

We always emphasize on a balanced diet because our body needs different nutrients in different amounts for adequate functioning. Too less or too much of anything will always bring health problems. People these days rely a lot on nutritional supplements and they cone with their own shares of problems. Most of these iron supplements cause constipation and if taken for too long can cause chronic constipation. One should try to meet the nutritional requirements through a balanced diet. Only in special situations, supplements should be taken under medical supervision.

We always emphasize on a balanced diet because our body needs different nutrients in different amounts for adequate functioning. Too less or too much of anything will always bring health problems. People these days rely a lot on nutritional supplements and they cone with their own shares of problems. Most of these iron supplements cause constipation and if taken for too long can cause chronic constipation. One should try to meet the nutritional requirements through a balanced diet. Only in special situations, supplements should be taken under medical supervision.

I do agree with you when you stated that supplements should be taken under medical supervision only. This is because many supplements can cause damage to your health or even death in worst cases. For example, if you are taking tryptophan supplements, then you should be cautious because taking tryptophan supplements along with certain drugs like antidepressants can cause serotonin syndrome and this can be a fatal situation.

Yes, I know that anything in excess is a poison and the iron is no exception to it. This poisoning is generally looking more in the children and young people than the adults. So apart from having this element in optimum quality any iron supplement has to be strictly be taken under the supervision of the physician or technically qualified person.

Hmm, that's why overdose or drug abuse isn't the right choice for us. A child can inexplicably involve in drug abuse, that's the duty of the patents to be there guiding the child on how to take the drugs. Any mistake means the child have gone against the prescription order. Who knows that can still be contraction iron toxic that would make one suffer long time, leading to death if time is not taking.

There is a saying in our culture - Anything in excess is harmful.
Iron is an essential nutrient, but excessive use will lead to diseases related to it. I also had problems like dehydration and diarrhea. We have to keep our nutrients in balance, this will keep our body in balance.​

I do agree with you when you stated that supplements should be taken under medical supervision only. This is because many supplements can cause damage to your health or even death in worst cases. For example, if you are taking tryptophan supplements, then you should be cautious because taking tryptophan supplements along with certain drugs like antidepressants can cause serotonin syndrome and this can be a fatal situation.
Now that you mention it, I remember reading it in one of the articles. It was well written with all the factors that can go wrong with taking a supplement without medical supervision. Most of these use not the natural source but lab-made sources and they are not good to be taken on a regular basis. We need supplements only under certain circumstances and for a very limited time. Prolonged use can be really harmful.

Thank you for creating the awareness , please do well to also mention some of the food that have high concentration of iron so that people can know how to consume it on moderation... You should also list out some of the most important symptom we have to observe so as to take the Right action at the right time.