Are there useless courses in the university?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
There are so many courses in the university which different undergraduate students pursue to graduate with a degree in them.
Things have gotten to a stage where we have many people roaming about the streets looking for Jobs and it seems there are not much jobs available.

In my country for instance, many people have now decided they would only sponsor their children to study medical courses which they believe there is a better job security. Some even make their children to study these medical courses by force, not minding if you are having passion for it.

With the way people are finding it hard to secure a job after graduating from the University, are there courses you would advise your loved ones not to study?
Are there useless courses that you feel people are not supposed to study them?

There is no useless course to study in the university. Every course have their area of specially and application. The issue there is, Nigeria is a developing country and not all jobs for all courses in the university are really practised in Nigeria. If one for instance, study archaeology and tourism in Nigeria, alot of people will ask you questions like, what do you want to use this course to do? Or what job will you work in? They are asking such a question based on the jobs provided in the country. If it was that such a course was studied in a country like the USA, it would be more easier to get a job in that area of specially than Nigeria because they have no s created for that area of study

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
There is no useless course to study in the university. Every course have their area of specially and application. The issue there is, Nigeria is a developing country and not all jobs for all courses in the university are really practised in Nigeria. If one for instance, study archaeology and tourism in Nigeria, alot of people will ask you questions like, what do you want to use this course to do? Or what job will you work in? They are asking such a question based on the jobs provided in the country. If it was that such a course was studied in a country like the USA, it would be more easier to get a job in that area of specially than Nigeria because they have no s created for that area of study
Absolutely, that is the major issue. It seems many of us have given up already about going to the uuniverrsity. They just think about the job security of the course they would want to go and study in the university. I have seen someone who studied linguistics and languages working in the petroleum sector. He is doing well, I am very sure that while in the university, many people would have berated his course thinking there is no hope of securing a job with the degree

I alwayys advise anyone to try getting the degree in whatsoever course they may be studying. When you graduate, you won't lack something doing. All courses are important.

Carson20t

So there are so many schools of thoughts when it comes to this subject matter as to wether there are useless degree courses from universities for luck of a better term.Some argue that certain jobs are about who you know or connections you have and others say courses like biology in general limits you because you have more of theory as opposed to practical and others say why spend so much money to study cullinary arts instead of investing your money to practice in the kitchen yourself.Others say you don't need four years to practice communication and liberal arts has no orportunity for alot of experience hence it would be tough journey finding a jobs out there.

It's really a tough one and a provocative topic but these are the listed degree courses among others that have been sited to be not wirth it to spend your money on unless you just want to struggle paying back student loans and yet you acquired a degree from universitiy hoping to get a job for it.
  1. Culinary arts
  2. Fashion design
  3. Art history
  4. Music
  5. Biology
  6. Communications
  7. Liberal arts.
  8. Studio arts and fine art.

Peppul

There are no useless courses to study, all courses have their own purposes and how they affect the community at the end of the day... So because I studied a course that's not a top recorgnised course doesn't mean someone will not need my assistance in the field in the future

Ralphjoe

There are no useless courses in any university system because there are careers that are associated with all courses that are being offered in the university system. It's due to unemployment that is making most people to feel like some courses are kind of useless due to the fact that when most students graduates, they find out that there are no jobs so they feel that it's because of the course that they studied.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
If you're in Nigeria you must have known that there are lots of courses that you should not go for because there is no need for you to just go and study it at the end of the day you will not have anything tangible to do example of such as forestry, this is one of the useless courses you can ever study in Nigeria as you know people in this part of the world do not really value the need of forest ,if you study this one you will not be able to make a living out of it.

Jnr

There are so many courses in the university which different undergraduate students pursue to graduate with a degree in them.
Things have gotten to a stage where we have many people roaming about the streets looking for Jobs and it seems there are not much jobs available.

In my country for instance, many people have now decided they would only sponsor their children to study medical courses which they believe there is a better job security. Some even make their children to study these medical courses by force, not minding if you are having passion for it.

With the way people are finding it hard to secure a job after graduating from the University, are there courses you would advise your loved ones not to study?
Yes oo, there are useless and irrelevant and time wasting courses in Nigeria, why would one waste four years just to study botany, thats just one aspect of ☣ biology.. Its time wasting i tell you

Kennysplash

Verified member

Yes, there are courses you should not study in Nigeria even though they are available. These courses are a waste of time and no one will recognize you carrying around it's certificate. An example is guidance and counseling, how many schools have counselors that do not reach? If you are a counselor you have to teach too, because not many students visits counselors in Nigeria. Me as a student never did, and I rarely see people who did. Another course is forestry, it is not valued in the country don't even waste your time on it. Unless you are studying just for the degree, but if you want to use it to work, find other courses.

Lekhraj19

Verified member
Yeah, that's true. Being in India, I can say that I am an undergraduate student doing the electronics and communication course. But the course contains theory only. We are just told to solve just questions and understand those things that seems not to be relevant in the near future. They have courses in each semester, where you are told to do those things as a small student. It's very lacking in India that we are exposed to industrial tours and made to feel what is necessary for us to understand.

However, I made myself involved in a data-science course that is conducted by an IIT institute here in online mode that is quite good.

My dear, it happens, especially in a country like Nigeria where anything goes. I have seen someone who studied yoruba language in the university, working a banker. Good for the lady though what I don't like about things like this is that it kills specialty and makes it worthless. An economy will grow if he we people who will soecialize in a particular field. You should not just study one thing and work in another thing. It's not clear. Though, this happens in Nigeria because we don't have enough jobs for the graduates so people just work where they see money and not according to what they studied.

Josemendez

Verified member
I think the problem here is the fact that some courses needs to be practiced in industries . Now for developing areas where there is little or no industries ,and where the number of graduates outnumbers the number of industries in existence. One may be forced to believe that a particular course has no value , simply because he or she has seen many graduates in the field that are jobless.

Taking for instance , a course called foreign and international study . There may be 400 graduates from this field in a country , perhaps 30 may get lecturing and teaching job across the country , 20 working in airlines and embassy , the rest are left to struggle on their own. This is the major challenge , the course is not the issue but the country.

Even the medical line is also having set backs , only few percentage gets work in medical sectors , some opens their own ,and those who can't open their own stays at home .

So to me , I think the problem is from the state of our countries and not on the course .

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Yes, there are courses you should not study in Nigeria even though they are available. These courses are a waste of time and no one will recognize you carrying around it's certificate. An example is guidance and counseling, how many schools have counselors that do not reach? If you are a counselor you have to teach too, because not many students visits counselors in Nigeria. Me as a student never did, and I rarely see people who did. Another course is forestry, it is not valued in the country don't even waste your time on it. Unless you are studying just for the degree, but if you want to use it to work, find other courses.
Wow, so there are people who consider some courses as being useless? I do not really think that it is okay for someone to refuse going to the university because a course they were offered is considered useless by people in our society. You never can tell which way will have the way to your success.
One should not just focus on securing a job Immediately after graduation, but you should just give in your best interest whatever course you are studying with the hope that a way will open in the future.

For guidance and counseling you are talking about, someone who studied that course can easily get a job with some non governmental organizations and be making your cool money.

BlackManta

There is no such thing as a useless course in the University. What we actually have are courses whose degrees are not sought after in the labour market. There are some courses you study and you wouldn't find a job easily and then there are courses you study and you become a sought after graduate.
But this situation does not make some courses useless. Graduates can still apply what they have learnt and become their own entrepreneurs. No knowledge is a waste. If graduates know how to put the knowledge to good use, no one would tag any course useless.