Am thinking of starting a poultry farm and things i want to know and understand in how to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abee111

What advise do u have for someone who wants to operate a business but don't have sufficient capital to start a business of his dream.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
In considering what type of business to venture into there are indeed alot of factors to put into considerations. First you must consider what you truly enjoy doing that doesn't seem like stress to you. When that has been settled you then consider who and who the product or services you are about to create will satisfy, when that has been put in place you must also consider where and how the the product or service will get to the target audience. When you are done with that planning stage the next stage should be the capital generation stage, this stage is very crucial because we all know the current situation of the country so one can either depend on Grant or loans from friends or family members and if the capital still remains insufficient then it will be wise to also get other investors who have a kind of like mind to join you in the business. Then you will share profit accordingly.

Now in starting a poultry business you must be ready to take care of the birds from time to time and you must get enough feeds and medicine for the birds. And get a very good space for the birds.

Kendy

Verified member
Poultry farming is part of an agricultural business and this business venture is profitable but also has its downside. The number of poultry you want to put, either in a small or large scale would determine the capital which would be sufficient in running the business. In poultry farming, you need the required capital or even some more to cover up for miscellaneous. The first step to starting a poultry farm is to have the needed experience if not, you would run at a complete loss. You need to have a farm house where your chickens would be kept and the house needs to be well ventilated. Also, you need lighting, the sawdust where they will sleep comfortably, cans of drinking water and chicken plate for their feeding. You need to know the size of farm you need and the number of chickens, which would determine the quantity of feed and drugs you would buy. You should also know that there are different type of feed you would give them at the nesting stage till when they are matured. At the early stage, you would feed them with "starters" and when they are grown, you would feed them with "finishers." You should always consult a veterinary doctor once you notice a sign of a sick bird or all of them would be infected.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Based on my experience about the poultry business I can say that for you to be able to start the business to make profit you really have to get in touch with people that really understand what poultry farming is all about and learn how they are doing it there, you can stay there for at least five complete farming season to really understand what is happening from the first day to the last day in which the chicken is ready for consumption and all the necessary step that is being taken to prevent disease and infections because if you don't really know how to prevent disease and infection there is a possibility that you are not likely to make a single Cash

What we have to understand is that these set of chicken has a very low immune system and if there is any sort of infection it is likely to kill them within a short period of time and the most important thing is to know how to prevent it . Even if there is possible infection you should also know of immediate drugss to apply

If proper planning is not done you might be at lost .

funmi

Verified member
Infact that your post just took my mind back to 2019/2020 during the period of the covid 19 lockdown, when movement were restricted and everyone was to sit at home so I kept on wondering to myself what I could possibly do rather waste all the time sitting at home and wasting for the lockdown to be called lifted. So I made some few enquires on livestock, basically poultry. Hence I got a little space behind my house and I started growing some few beds about 35 of them. I took my time to make sure they are well feed and I ensured I gave them the right time of feeds for the fixed duration of time I was suppose to give them, I started with the starters, and moved to the growers and finally ended with the finishers. That was how I was able to rise the chickens and they grew very big and healthy. Then when it was time to sell I sold them at a very fine price I was lucky enough that I didn't register any mortality. Honestly that choice of business is good if you are patient and very ready to put in your best.

Stena

It is important to know the rudiments of a business before delving into it. The poultry business is a lucrative one if effectively managed. Things to look out for when starting a poultry business include:
1) capital: this would depend on the scale of the business, be it small or large scale. A market survey has to be done to know the amount required to start and keep the business running. Source of capital is also important to consider, it is not advisable to obtain loans for the business except it is the last resort.
2) location: you should situate your poultry farm close to your target market. The site of the business should be provided with water and power supply, secured from pests and thieves.
3) housing: you can decide to use a free range, deep litter or battery cage system. The battery cage system would go well for layers since it allows for easy collection of eggs.
4) equipment and other inputs: ensure to get water and feeding troughs, drugs, feeds from a reliable vendor.
5) source of stock: this is very important to consider. There are stocks that are very susceptible to diseases and other environmental changes, or take too long to reach marketable size. Ensure to get the right breed to avoid incurring losses.

achawaskey

The first thing to do is by acquiring the right knowledge about poultry farm, then think if you want to start it in a large scale or small scale, if there funds large scale is good, but I will advise you as a beginner go for small scale so that it will serve as a first hand practical for you. Then check the location if it is on urban area, you have to deal with constant smell will disturb your neighbours and attract Health Authorities. But if it is rural area, then get prepared for reptile like snake visit because they like the smell of poultry droppings.

Status
Not open for further replies.