5 Options if You’re Crushed by Student Loan and Credit Card Debt

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
Student loans and credit card balances can become financially paralyzing. If you’re overwhelmed by high interest debt, consider these strategic moves:

1. Debt Consolidation Loan

Consolidating multiple balances into a personal loan with lower interest can reduce monthly payments. This combines debts into one fixed monthly bill.

2. Balance Transfer Credit Card

Transferring credit card balances to a 0% promotional APR card stops accrual of interest for 12-18 months. Make payments on actual principal during this period.

3. Income-Driven Repayment

Federal student loans may qualify for IDR plans like PAYE or REPAYE which base monthly payments on income and family size. This lowers payments.

4. Deferment/Forbearance

Pausing federal student loan payments temporarily via deferment or forbearance provides relief during financial hardships or between jobs. Interest still builds.

5. Debt Management Plan

A non-profit credit counseling agency can negotiate lower interest rates on bills and facilitate a centralized payment plan for total debt relief.

Determine the right solution by calculating potential cost savings on interest reductions and assessing loan eligibility requirements. The goal is simplifying payments, stopping ballooning interest, and achieving manageable monthly bills.

Relief programs buy time to improve cash flow and continue making progress on balances. Consult reputable non-profit advisors to understand all options fully. Don’t wait - a coordinated debt payoff strategy can change your financial trajectory.

lexfurther

Fortunately, I haven't encountered many issues with my credit cards lately, except for a couple of instances where I faced challenges logging into my global cash card account. It was an unexpected inconvenience, and the global cash card login failed multiple times, leaving me a bit perplexed about the reasons behind it. However, the silver lining in this situation was the commendable customer service provided by the company, which promptly addressed and resolved the login issues.