General insurance How to spot fake insurance brokers

Augusta

VIP Contributor
What you should always know is that they are scammers everywhere and the insurance company isn't an exception. There are fake brokers or agents too that prey on innocent people to scam them of their hard earned money.

These fake brokers are called ghost brokers. You need to avoid them to avoid wasting your money. so.how do you spot the fakes

Their premium is always too good to be true. They offer lesser premium amount

The insurance company name on your policy form will be different from the one on the registered website

You are charge a fee to even get a quote

They will always ask for payment only in cash

An unidentified post office box. Is where you would be asked to send their money to.

So you need to be careful.

What's your thoughts?

Mika

VIP Contributor
Instead of buying an insurance policy from the broker, why don't you walk into the insurance company's office and buy the insurance policy you want. By doing this you have zero risk of getting scammed. Even when you're buying from a broker, make sure to check whether he is actually affiliated with the company or not.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Instead of buying an insurance policy from the broker, why don't you walk into the insurance company's office and buy the insurance policy you want. By doing this you have zero risk of getting scammed. Even when you're buying from a broker, make sure to check whether he is actually affiliated with the company or not.
This is another angle to it. Maybe because a broker is readily available that's why people easily use them but the thing is to just to find out if the broker is genuine before patronizing any. But I agree with you that using the insurer which is the insurance company itself is better

Setho

VIP Contributor
The first thing you should keep at the back of your mind is that you should stay clear from any insurance offer that is completely online. It is often advisable that you should contact your bank anytime you will want to enroll for any insurance and they should be the ones that are going to prepare the paperwork for you. In this way you will be able to avoid any type of scam whatsoever.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
The first thing you should keep at the back of your mind is that you should stay clear from any insurance offer that is completely online. It is often advisable that you should contact your bank anytime you will want to enroll for any insurance and they should be the ones that are going to prepare the paperwork for you. In this way you will be able to avoid any type of scam whatsoever.
This is a good suggestion,,it can really be daunting for a beginner to really ascertain these fake sellers so it will be a lot better like you have stated to involve your bank knowing that they can't disappoint or scam you. It is good to take time to look well before contacting any one

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
Yeah this is actually right. Scammers will use any opportunity to get anyone scammed especially when it is online because there will be no traces of how to find the scammer o how to locate. These are one of the disadvantages of technology, internet to be precise. One just have to be very careful and do not trust anyone online if they are not referred to you by someone you trust.

Jamoflondon

Verified member
I said it earlier, the main reason people get scammed on the internet is because they let the sweet words they hear from scammers move them. Most especially the scammers online. Some are willing to go to the extent of printing some fake insurance policy documents as proof to make you believe them.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Yeah this is actually right. Scammers will use any opportunity to get anyone scammed especially when it is online because there will be no traces of how to find the scammer o how to locate. These are one of the disadvantages of technology, internet to be precise. One just have to be very careful and do not trust anyone online if they are not referred to you by someone you trust.
I think scammers look around for what people are really after in a particular period of time to create their own scam. This is why people really need to be careful especially online as you have mentioned because they can't be easily traced to pepertrate this plans. It is better to work with those refers than random people online

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I said it earlier, the main reason people get scammed on the internet is because they let the sweet words they hear from scammers move them. Most especially the scammers online. Some are willing to go to the extent of printing some fake insurance policy documents as proof to make you believe them.
Scamners online see just something else maybe because you can hardly track them down. Especially those in other countries they know getting them will be very difficult so they try all sorts and sometimes they get away with it. But I think the onus is on people to be careful with their hard earned money

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
It's very easy to spot a fake insurance broker. The number one thing on their list is that they promise mouth-watering offers. What they bring to the table is far from the truth. The fake insurance broker are always with sugar-coated words, they promise what is not realistic inorder to lure you. It is advisable to always check ratings of the insurance broker.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
We had a neighbor who was an insurance broker who manages an insurance agency. He said that when offered an insurance policy you check with the insurance company before entertaining the agent. You might be wasting your time if the agent is fake. He has genuine documents that he may have reproduced or even stolen so you cannot check on the documents unless you call the office.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
There are many insurance broker that offers fake premium , I think before registering on insurance company we need to check if the company is available in the country to carry out the registeration properly and we don't invest on a fake insurance company at the end of the day I think

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Thank you for the good explanation you have made and the way out. I know that some of these so call insurance broker that are fake use to package their product very well to the extent that one will hardly know them.
I think one of the things to do in order to know them is to make good research on them before any contract will comes up between both party.