Do You Really Need a Portfolio Website to Make Money as a Writer?

Mika

VIP Contributor
Let’s say you are a writer. As a writer, you can have an online presence on a lot of platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, Self Hosted Blog, Portfolio website, author page on Amazon, etc. Do you really need to be present on so many platforms? If you have a strong presence on social media, do you really need your own website? If you already have an Author Page on Amazon, do you really need a portfolio website? Let’s find out.

What is a portfolio website?

Think portfolio website as your online resume where you not only tell who you are and what you do but also showcase your work as well as provide links to your social profiles, and author pages on various publishing websites (if you have been published there).

Do you really need a portfolio website?

Well, you can use social media to share your resume, however, social media profiles are not always found via searches, however, your author's website will be easily found through searches. Therefore, a portfolio website will establish your brand. If your books are available on Amazon, you can share your book links and drive sales. If you are freelancing on freelance marketplaces, people can easily hire you through freelancing sites by following the links through your portfolio website.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
From my experience, I think we need our portfolio to earn good as a writer online. I think this is why writing platforms always asked that we leave our portfolio on our profile. Portfolio help tell clients tell who one is, what one do as well as showcase the person work as well. I think it will be better than sharing ones links to one social profiles. It will be about leaving this on author pages on the different publishing websites

So does one really need a portfolio website. I will write yes that one need one as one author's website will be easily found through the searches online The portfolio website will help build ones brand. Wherever you publish your books or publications you can share the links and drive sales to them. Same with being a freelancer on freelance marketplaces, people can easily see your portfolio and hire you through the links you published on your portfolio website.