Can anyone with a university degree work anywhere?

Etini

Valued Contributor
There is an emerging trend in the process of organizational recruitment in today's world. This trend is prevalent in Africa. I don't know of other climes though. In most organizations here in Africa, all you need to be employed is just a bachelor's degree. It doesn't even matter if the degree is in a field relevant or related to the organization/ industry. It is a common occurrence to see fishery graduates work in banks and carry out core banking activities.

It seems professionalism is fast becoming an old order. I have lots of engineering graduates working in insurance companies. It is not as if their job description is engineering-related. They are doing this core insurance work. Is this trend the same everywhere across the world? Why is it happening that way? It discourages people from pursuing careers in professional courses. After all, they would come to struggle for employment opportunities with people who are not professionals in that area. Let me have your opinion on this.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
Well, i won't really concur 100% with what you have said. It is true that people with bachelor's degree are given work in places that aren't related to their field of study but it has to first be ascertained that they can function well and optimally in that capacity.
And I think this is mostly seen in very small companies and organisations that may not have the ability to pay well trained people as expected and so they resort to this option.

But I have not really seen or heard that someone without the necessary qualification is working at a post in an office or company. The level of precision some jobs require will even warrant the impossibility of this.

Nevertheless, I do not doubt the fact that what you have mentioned is still true and happens a lot especially in Africa. But I won't say that having a bachelor's degree will mean you can actually work anywhere.

Suba

Staff member
Although almost everyone who has a bachelor's degree, whether it's a master's, of course they want to work according to their field of expertise. people who have a degree in law certainly want to work in the field of law as well, so that it will support their careers and increase their experience. Inequality of job vacancies in third countries often occurs, a graduate in law or other fields who work as security, of course not according to his expertise. Actually this error occurs because the government is not able to provide jobs or the government does not help small entrepreneurs to develop. so that there is a big gap between vacancies/job offers and job demands.

King bell

VIP Contributor
The simple answer is no, not everyone with a university degree can work anywhere. There are a number of factors that come into play when employers are hiring, and having a degree is just one of them.

That being said, there are many jobs out there that will accept applicants with a university degree, regardless of their field of study. So, while you may not be able to get your dream job straight out of university, you can still find employment in a number of different industries.

The best way to increase your chances of getting hired, no matter where you apply, is to have a strong resume and cover letter. Be sure to tailor your application to each individual job, highlighting the skills and experience that make you the best candidate for the role. With a little effort, you should be able to find a job that’s a good fit for your skills and qualifications.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you have a university degree, it will be a little easier for you to get a job because education is the basic requirement to get a job. However, education does not guarantee a job, especially when there are no jobs available in your place or the education degree you acquired has no commercial value. If you want to ensure that you get a job after completing your education you need to study subjects that have the potential to make a lot of money. Science and technology can make you more money than arts and literature. You will also need vocational skills. In some cases, vocational skills can supplement your lack of a degree. For example, you can work in a design company even when you are not a graduate, all you need is designing skills. While university certificates are essential, it is also very important what you can actually do.