Benefits of staying for long on a job

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I know it is sometimes difficult to stay on a job with some shitty conditions, this makes one to keep moving . but if a job is great it would do you a world of good to remain there for a long time. Doing this will get you some great benefits.

The benefits includes

• Rising in rank to become a senior executive and here you would get more money and as well as more perks
  • You would be given leadership opportunities that will grow you better
  • You would have stability in your career as well, moving all the time from jobs wouldn’t give you this
  • You would have the benefit of homeownership and retirment funds, when you change or hops from jobs, you will get high transaction cost to home changes. Maintaining your retirement account will be easy
  • Staying at a job for a long time will bring self improvement as one would have acquired a lot of skills by being focus
  • With staying on a job for a long time will show dependability. One will get rewarded with respect and greater height
  • You would be able to have a say about the company’s future as per being an old staff
What do you think about this?

The biggest problem with staying for too long in a company is that most of the time even your seniors would not promote you. Why would any senior leave his own place and allow you to replace him? This is why professional jealousy exists in employees and when a senior gets jealous of you due to your brilliant performance, things can get worse for you. This is why many people remain on lower ranks in a company for several years and they tend to switch positions in companies. At the end of their career they get old and retire as a low ranked employee. Sometimes they even do not get sufficient pension.

Staying long on a job has its benefits but whether or not it is better will depend much on the company and your goals in life. Are you loyal to the right company? Does the company offer growth and mobility to its employees? Does the company have the potential to expand and promote people? Is it a company that will likely grow or maintain itself in the future? Does the company offer benefits that will help make your life comfortable during your retirement years? Some people stay on the same job for a lifetime just because they lack the skills or the courage to go out of their comfort zone and seek other jobs that will likely enrich their careers. On the other hand, we see people switching jobs and companies to obtain the career and financial growth they desire for their careers.

One of the major benefits of working on the same job for a long time is you get employee's benefits like a pension plan, retirement funds, provident funds, etc. In my country, if you work for 20 years in a government job, you will receive 25 percent of your salary for the rest of your life, and after your death, your spouse will receive 10 percent of your salary as long as he or she is living. The private firms do not give benefits like this one but some big corporations and companies also give retirement benefits like cash benefits.

May I share the story of my wife. She joined a bank in 1987 and she was lucky to rise from the ranks. After 10 years she was nearing the managerial level and her salary was getting higher. To make the story short, my wife reached the level of vice president after 30 years in that bank. She has benefits that were added to her salary. There was the perk of stocks given to her every year and the paid vacation as well. Her story is a good lesson that can inspire the younger generation to stay in one place. I know of so many employees who are like a butterfly that moves from one job to another in the hope of getting a higher position and a bigger salary.

Don't forget that loyalty in the job pays a lot. My wife has the benefit of the retirement pay which is 2 months salary for every year of service. That is quite a big sum when you compute because my wife has been with her job for 34 years already.

When start as a young prodigy and last over 30 years in same job, surely your senior colleagues will retire for you. Nothing lasts forever, they wouldn't remain on seat forever as well, they'll evacuate for you and you'll definitely occupy the lead role. When your time expires too, others will follow suit, that's life for us. If you have the patience, you should remain with one company for long and build your career with the company, and earn unending benefits when after your service years with the company, especially the one that offers retirement benefits in surplus ways.

I do not see any need of one getting to remain in one workplace instead of trying out othy opportunities that may be available in several other organisations . This is one thing that a lot of people get themselves into and then end up with regrets because their goals in that organisation will not be met.