Auto Insurance Will insurance company pay if you leave keys in car?

kayode10

VIP Contributor
Auto insurance helps to protect you against financial loss that may occur from accident or theft of your car.

Nothing is guaranteed in this world and anything can happen when you are driving car.

Even if you are trying to move slowly on the road while driving car, if accident will occur it will definitely occur.

I was watching a report just of recent in which a person was narrating how a laptop was stolen in his car.

This led to a discussion between me and my partner. He said that if the car was stolen, the person will get his car back if he insured the car and pay premium regularly.

So I want to ask that will someone get back his car if it happens that the person mistakenly left the key inside the car when it was stolen?

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
Well I really do not know much about insurance business but to my own knowledge about it and judging by such scenario, I do not think the insurer will be willing to take responsibility for such action because it sounds like the fault is from the insured client by leaving the key in the car

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Insurance companies don't pay without thorough investigations. And we should know that insurance companies only pay for damages that are caused naturally and not the one that are accidentally or even intentionally done. Leaving key in the car is the carelessness of the owner and insurance company may not take responsibility for that

sincerem

VIP Contributor
When carelessness led to the car's dismissal from the owner, then the owner should know the fault is coming from his or her hand. Insurance can't pay for everything that led concerns premium of the insured when their is claim of benefits. The claims must meet their terms and conditions before getting a benefit for what happened.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
They might actually not pay because you misplaced your car key due to carelessness and you would have to bear the burden of the risk alone and not the insurance company bearing it for you

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I doubt the insurance company will take up this loss if it is find out that the car was stolen because of the owner carelessness. The will be a thorough investigation though to be sure it is worth a compensation. But it is leaving the key in the car and it is known by the insurance company I doubt payment

Mika

VIP Contributor
The terms of use determine whether you will receive financial coverage or not. You will receive coverage only when your claim falls under the contract you have signed. If your insurance company clearly mentions that you will not receive coverage if you let your keys inside the car, you will not receive coveragen when your keys were inside, and if there are no clauses for this issue you will receive compensation.

funmi

Verified member
Well, after reading many people's comments above, I realized that it is not possible for insurance company to pay if you forgot your keys in the car. Well a law is a law and an agreement is also an agreement whether we like it or not.
Now, it is better to ask a lot of questions when you want to insure your car or anything. Give the insurance company so many scenarios that can happen, if possible think of something new and get answers before insuring your properties. This must be done in order to avoid disappointment when you need their help and they refused because it is not part of the original agreement. This is indeed an eye opener for me too.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
The way I understand it is that most of the insurance policies usually cover costs for those effects caused by accidents, theft or natural disasters. They usually do not cover the costs that occur due to the insured person's carelessness or negligence. Therefore, I really don't think that you will be insured by your insurance company of you forget your keys in the car. They will assume this as a form of carelessness and they usually do not insured for this. Therefore, you should really be careful when dealing with your own property. This is because you will not be insured for everything bad that happens.

Dasryny

I don't think so. After all, the fact that you left your keys behind is your problem, you were being careless.