Why you need to do marketing before you start a poultry business.

Etini

Valued Contributor
Before I started my poultry business, I did so much feasibility. My fear had always been about who would buy the chickens from me. I went about meeting the potential off-takers and informed them that I want to start a poultry business. I had their contacts and built relationships with them. By the time I started and my birds were due, it was just a matter of a phone call/ a visit. In one day, I sold out will the birds on my farm.

The way the poultry business is, marketing determines your profit even more than your ability to produce good chickens. An extra day the birds spend on your farm after they are due is a loss to you. That's because you have to feed them unless you have a cold room where you could slaughter and preserve them. And having a cold room is beyond the reach of small farmers. That is why you need to create your market first before you even think of stocking the birds.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
Poultry Business is very prolific in my area here. There are people who go into the business even without thinking of how to sell because it is quiet easy to get buyers around here. But actually to be on the safer side, it is good that one first talks to people and has people he or she is very sure will patronize his business.

Even here, this as well happens and it usually takes place when the poultry birds are ready for sale. You just tell people that you have chicken for sale and you will see how within a day, you whole pen will be emptied.

But personally I will advise that before going into such Business especially in urban areas where people live less community life, you must first make a feasibility test. See how people respond to you when you talk about them patronizing your potential Business. This will actually go a long way.