Why you must use divide and rule strategy to control your staff.

Etini

Valued Contributor
Divide and rule is the policy of maintaining control over one's subordinates or opponents by encouraging dissent between them, thereby preventing them from uniting in opposition. This could be an effective management strategy when it is considered that when workers in an organization have unity, it would be hard for the top management to exert control over them.

I once worked in a school where the boss wanted to extend the closing time. He couldn't do it because the staff was all united. I think if he had implemented the strategy of planting a mole to sell out the staff. He would have succeeded. As a boss, keep your staff on their toes. Let them hate each other. By so doing, they would be reporting each other's irregularities to you. And you would be able to exert control over the staff. I think divide and rule is a good management strategy.

This is a good strategy and would definitely work, but i think it also has its disadvantage. If there is no unity amongst the staff, it would be very difficult for them to work together. Let me use my current workplace for example, as the current manager, there is no day i do not shout or come back home with headache. They are all independent, they all want to do their work not when it is needed but when they feel like, they want to freely move and do what they like within working hours and worse, no one wants to help the other person out. The only thing they are actually united about is not extending the closing time and even as at that there are times where some do not even care if the time is extended Cause they are probably charging their phones due no light.