Why meaning neglect agriculture?

PICKFORD

Verified member
It is said that agriculture is as old as mankind and agriculture involved the rearing and planting of farm and field cultivations but why have many neglected agriculture why is there no present news about agriculture well this is due to the stage of development and growth of the country in which we are talking about. in a country like Nigeria the main reason why agriculture is being neglected is that the government the people and lack of farm and farming inputs are not presents for the people as well as enthusiasm and motivation to continue agricultural activities.
A lot of people neglect agriculture in Nigeria without knowing that the climate change allows it to produce a variety of crops mostly staple foods like rice, cassava, beans, millets, cowpea, plantain, potatoes, yam groundnut etc a lot of people say that decline in agriculture in Nigeria begin in the year let back in 1970 when petroleum was discovered in Nigeria, the discovery of oil in Nigeria distort the agricultural sector making everyone including the government and its agencies to shift away their mindset from agriculture and focus on petroleum. Presently in nowadays some factors affect agriculture some of these factors include:

1. Illiteracy:
There is no doubt that literacy rate in Nigeria is low and this has affected agriculture because new educated farm personnels have not been produced for the past two years leading to the decline in agricultural activities thoughts and ideas the present agricultural.The present agricultural personnel that we have in Nigeria today lack the requisite authority and formal language to communicate with the outside world.

2. Lack of funds:
Insufficient fund or lack of money at all have caused setback in agriculture because many farmers have not been able to buy farm and farm implements the activity of agriculture is being neglected and even the government does not provide help this will lock agricultural activities behind bars for a very long time.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Agriculture is the bedrock of any nation yet it is the most abandoned sector of an economy. There are many reasons why people may not want to delve their hands into agriculture. Among those reasons include the following:

People mindset is that agriculture is a dirty job which make them to run away from it. They think it is for the older generations. I wonder who will be supplying food when the older generation die.

Another reason is lack of storage facilities. Agriculture cannot be practised except there are storage facilities. Most agricultural produce are very perishable in nature and need storage facilities.

The list is incomplete if I don't talk about the expensiveness of agriculture. There is need for government to subsidize some of these agriculture material. For a good agricultural process, there should be mechanized implements which are very expensive, fertilizersbsjd even some pesticides against pests and diseases are very expensive.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Agriculture is one of the most important things for any place. No matter how much developed a country becoming, it may never underestimate the power of agriculture, even if the country turns into an industrial state. The fact of the matter is that there are many places in Africa and in Asia that depends lot on agriculture. I certainly agree with you that funds and a lack of knowledge is the main reason why this sector is struggling so much. I have been living in a country for many years that have paid no attention to the issues faced by the farmers and they rely on private funding in order to run the agricultural sector in the country.

Some banks also support these farmers, but they take a lot in return in the form of interest money. I have always believed that proper financing of this sector could boost the economy of a country and if this profession is taken seriously, then it could prove to be good for the public and the government as well. Unfortunately, corruption is one of the main reasons why many farmers are having a hard time and I can only hope that things will become much better.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
The relevance of agriculture can not be over emphasized, this is no because agriculture is not just the planting planting growing of crops but it also involving the rearing of animals for the use of man and animals and plants aswel. So as we can see here everything revolves around agriculture there is nothing we do that do not have a strong connection with agriculture or agricultural produce. Hence when we look closely in every countries of the world agriculture is not taken with kids glove because agriculture is essential for life to continue on earth. We will also notice that countries that are doing well economically are all into agriculture and thry do not stay only on subsistence farming but they do It at the industrial level.

Any country that despises agriculture will certainly remain poor and such economy will never thrive. In my country agriculture used to be the engine room of the economy but in recent times we have deviated attention to o the areas such as crude oil exploration and this has weaken our economy as people no lounge farm and depend on foreign foods and importation to survive. Another problem affecting farmers here is insecurity.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In the Philippines I have studied the problem of agriculture just using my observation whenever I would go to the rural areas. The farmers are good with their job that the crops and plants are healthy. But when there is a typhoon they would lose money when the crops are destroyed. But the main culprit in the decline of agriculture here is the trader. The farmer would plant crops, let's say corn, and when the corn is ready to harvest they would call the trader. It is the trader who would haggle with the price on a "take it or leave it" tone. Even if I were the farmer I would certainly be afraid if the trader would not buy my corn because they will go past the ripeness and would be worthless. The government should have a buying program to assure the farmers that their harvest would be bought at a fair price.

Kendy

Verified member
In time past, agriculture was seen as a veritable tool to the economy's sustainability and our forefathers ventured into agricultural activities as a major means of occupation but relatively, agriculture has now become dwindling because of technological advancement and also the exposure to white collar jobs. Invariably, a nation which takes agricultural activities keenly would always remain unscathed in times of economic crisis.

It's a pity that in some countries the nature of agricultural activities have declined due to environmental disaster and insecurity crisis which has made many farmers change their network from agriculture to other ventures. Agriculture is like an ocean current that flows spontaneously and needs to be tapped by man.