Why Educated People Are Unemployed?

Mika

VIP Contributor
If unemployment was high among the semi-educated people, you would have rationalized that these people are not employed because they are not educated and do not have high educational qualifications. However, educated people are also unemployed. One of the reasons why educated people are unemployed is because they do not want to do the menial jobs because it's “degrading” for the qualification they have.

Another reason for graduates being unemployed is they have theoretical knowledge because of education yet they do not have practical knowledge because they are not trained for skill development.

You are a Management graduate, do you think you can get a job in a bank? I don’t think so. You also need skills related to the operation of banking software, you also need to pass the competitive exams.

Education helps you to build knowledge. But you also need to undergo training to develop professional skills.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
There is no other reason why a graduate will decide not to be employed than lack of employment because that is what is making a lot of people not to have something doing, in Africa especially in Nigeria the high rate of unemployment is so high because government do not provide work for the people of her country.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This is a good question because I know of some who have a master's degree but remains unemployed. One reason is being over-qualified and another reason is the lack of vacancy. As you go up the hierarchy of qualification for a job there would be lesser opportunities. That is the importance of connections in the real world.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Education does not only mean you have a sheaf of certificates, education also means you have skills and knowledge. As long as you have skills and knowledge, you can be employed. Unfortunately a lot of educated people are unemployed because there are no jobs for them or they don't work hard to find jobs.

Suba

Staff member
Educated unemployment, which occurs due to the unavailability of adequate employment opportunities in both the public and private sectors, is common in third countries. Even university graduates or masters who have experience as professionals will also find it difficult to find work, even if they are accepted to work in the private sector they will be paid a small salary, so most of them choose their own business, by opening their professional business and opening other businesses.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
This is very true. Education alone is not enough to land you a job. You also need to learn skills. The problem with educated people is that they want their papers alone to employ them. They fail to volunteer and learn skills needed in the practical work environment. Also, they despise other available jobs because they say it is too degrading for their qualifications.

niche

Verified member
Younger people often are not aware of opportunities which are available. In some countries , government jobs are reserved for the friends and relatives of top government officials, politicians, often with fake resumes. In some cases, educated people may not require a full time job. travelling daily to the workplace, especially if they are older.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
There is no other reason why a graduate will decide not to be employed than lack of employment because that is what is making a lot of people not to have something doing, in Africa especially in Nigeria the high rate of unemployment is so high because government do not provide work for the people of her country.

That's not true. I am a graduate and choose not get get employed because I love being a self-employed person who just cannot work offline. I have always preferred online work and this is why I have been trying to stay active on different forums daily. Unfortunately, I am not able to find many online forums where I could work and earn money.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
That's not true. I am a graduate and choose not get get employed because I love being a self-employed person who just cannot work offline. I have always preferred online work and this is why I have been trying to stay active on different forums daily. Unfortunately, I am not able to find many online forums where I could work and earn money.
The best way to make money online is to learn a skill. Don't rely on forums to make a reasonable amount of money online because you will not be able to good money. for me I'm just looking for more money to learn the type of skill I am interested and to also buy a laptop that is just the best way. And that is what I'm trying to do.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
A lot of people have a wrong notion about being self employed. Even when you are self employed, you are under the contract of your job provider and have to work according to his time schedule. Being self employed does not mean you are completely free. Building full time income by working online is really difficult.