Why do most hospitals have a similar unique smell?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I have been to different hospitals in my country either as a result of me being sick or going to check up on a loved one who has been hospitalized.
I have noticed that most of them tend to have a kind of smell that is common to them all, and this makes me want to know what could be really the source of this kind of smell and why is it common in almost all the hospitals?
Was this how all hospitals were designed to smell?

There are people who say they do not like the smell as it gives them a feeling of sickness and they relate it with death too. There are instances where some individuals throw up whenever they arrive a hospital venue because they have some sort of allergy to this smell.

What do you know about this smell?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I am not a doctor or a chemist but the smell of the hospital is a mixture of the chemicals that are in use. Take for instance the alcohol which is prevalent now as protection against covid even commercial establishments smell of alcohol. Hospitals have the perennial use not only of alcohol but also of other liquid chemicals like bleach to clean the operating room.

Mika

VIP Contributor
All hospitals smell the same because they use the same thing to clean the tools, furniture, clothes, and the floor. The smell of the hospital is the smell of the chemical used in cleaning. They may not be using the same brand of cleaner but whatever cleaning agent they are using has more or less the same formulas.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
All hospitals smell the same because they use the same thing to clean the tools, furniture, clothes, and the floor. The smell of the hospital is the smell of the chemical used in cleaning. They may not be using the same brand of cleaner but whatever cleaning agent they are using has more or less the same formulas.
Thanks for the enlightenment and I just had to remember some high school chemistry talking about how same formula could be used to produce chemicals that are similar in function but would have different smell maybe due to addition of some extra fragrance and flavoring agents for commercial and marketing purposes.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
This topic I seems weird and funny thou, don't crucify me cos of view on your topic. But I'll say what @Mika @Alexandoy said are simply the correct answer to your question. Since they use sane chemicals, tools, furniture, cleaning materials in their respective hospitals they smell now becomes the same. Again the odour of the sick can make it smell that way LoL.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
This topic I seems weird and funny thou, don't crucify me cos of view on your topic. But I'll say what @Mika @Alexandoy said are simply the correct answer to your question. Since they use sane chemicals, tools, furniture, cleaning materials in their respective hospitals they smell now becomes the same. Again the odour of the sick can make it smell that way LoL.
You mean that some of the patients in hospital and care centers usually smell bad and this contribute to the kind of smell common in hospitals ? I think this is also another point as so many of them are bed ridden and can not stand to go and wash up themselves. It is really not nice being in such situations though.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
You mean that some of the patients in hospital and care centers usually smell bad and this contribute to the kind of smell common in hospitals ? I think this is also another point as so many of them are bed ridden and can not stand to go and wash up themselves. It is really not nice being in such situations though.
Lol, since some are deeply ill and unable to stand to go to the rest rooms and clean up nice, they develop some smells which isn't pleasant. Its just like when you go to the mortuary you'll discover indecent smells which is simply looking bad. That's what makes it smell, humans have bad smells if the body isn't taken care of.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Lol, since some are deeply ill and unable to stand to go to the rest rooms and clean up nice, they develop some smells which isn't pleasant. Its just like when you go to the mortuary you'll discover indecent smells which is simply looking bad. That's what makes it smell, humans have bad smells if the body isn't taken care of.
I actually thought that the health care personnel were also supposed to render support to such bed ridden patients who obviously can not support them selves as they are too ill to do basic things like taking their bath and the likes.
The hospital smell makes some people to throw up, especially those going there for the first time.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I actually thought that the health care personnel were also supposed to render support to such bed ridden patients who obviously can not support them selves as they are too ill to do basic things like taking their bath and the likes.
The hospital smell makes some people to throw up, especially those going there for the first time.
I think so too, their are some that can be assisted to take their bat, and brushing of the teeth. But do you know, their are others in the hospital that are so ill that you can take them for such, even if you assist them to walk. Their body is so weak to move out. So they are the ones that pollutes the hospital at times. The best the hospital can do is spraying of chemicals to subsidize the odour.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
The smell of the hospital sometimes are because of the chemical they are using in washing the floor and also a disinfectant chemical they are using in cleaning the tables and chairs. Those are the things that give it a unique smells that we have been experiencing when are in the hospital. Some hospital are odourless.