Why do lottery/jackpot winners often blow their anyhow?

marcusfe

I've a different stories how so many multi million lottery winners ended being broke and became extremely poor. This follows a certain African adage (Yoruba) that says "riches is a visitor which is meant to return to a its destination but only the wise finds a strong rope to tie it down". The common lifestyle to many of these people is a lifestyle of frugality. Then tend to spend the money anyhow with the notion that they did not work it, no wonder the money departed from them. Comparing the life of these people with someone who worked for money or by miraculous get some, I'm very sure that the later will know how to utilize it to be multiplied.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
It's quite obvious that anything you get some easily or freely will not be so appreciated, sometimes we dont even appreciate the air we breadth until we have some sought of health issues that requires oxygen, then we will realise that even the air we breathe freely actually has a value. So they spend recklesslybecause they never worked for it.

Daykas

It quite easy now. Because mostly when people didn't work to achieve their goals sometimes they tend to misuse it.
They will rather spent on things not worth it,you will only see few people in this type of case to have a better life afterwards.
They tend to believe they will still make it back.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Yeah I have been hearing similar stories also. I personally know someone who won about 30 million naira on sports betting but never utilised the money. Maybe the reason is the fact that they are not prepared to handle such amount of money. It may also be to the fact that they never made the money we are sweat.

Setfragil

Lottery or jackpot are money you earned through luck, you receive and enjoy it without sweating or struggle to achieve it. That is the reason why most people who won lottery easily waste the money anyhow, if they had struggled so hard to make the money they would have planned on how to spend it and since jackpots happen when you didn't expect, you will likely spend it without setting up you scale of preferences.

Queentener

This usually happens, as a matter of fact you can't blame these people they are into gambling,and to me I feel when you gamble even if you win, the money still goes back into where I t came from. A lot of them don't spend the money lavishly, a lot put back the money into that same gambling. forgetting luck might not smile on them this time and they go back to 0 again. But the funny thing about these people is, they are so addicted to gambling that they won't stop even after losing all the money they will still keep on doing it and that is where the fear comes in. I can't deal, I can't even have a friendship relationship with a gambler it's scary they can sell you to gamble that is how bad it can be when they become very addictive.

eojo2401

Be it lotto winner, jackpot winner even yahoo boys will spend there money on frivolity things simply because the money comes into their hands without much stress. There is a wise saying in my area that "what ever you didn't labours for, can never last". Another angle to it is overconfident that they will get more than that very soon.

Veetos12

I've a different stories how so many multi million lottery winners ended being broke and became extremely poor. This follows a certain African adage (Yoruba) that says "riches is a visitor which is meant to return to a its destination but only the wise finds a strong rope to tie it down". The common lifestyle to many of these people is a lifestyle of frugality. Then tend to spend the money anyhow with the notion that they did not work it, no wonder the money departed from them. Comparing the life of these people with someone who worked for money or by miraculous get some, I'm very sure that the later will know how to utilize it to be multiplied.
The reason why most people who engage in gambling activities usually blow the money is that the money comes so cheaply and can be gotten again. Also, they don't labour for it too much, as a result of this believe it is always convenient to get.

Lekhraj19

Verified member
It happens because of the mentality of the people when they win those lotteries. They think in the way that money is very easy to come their way, so when people win money like these, they mostly spend their complete money and end up doing nothing productive. This is the worst part of lotteries.

Adetayo100

Because they didn't work hard or sweat enough for the money so they dont know the value of such money, think since it is an easy money they get another or win another jackpot anytime soon, they tend to spend the money on unnecessary things like Alchol, smoke and on woman. But you can't spend your salary or money gotten in a hard way like that.

marcusfe

There is a common notion with every gambler with is always their doom. They believe that the way they win to today they will definitely win next time forgetting that gambling is a game of uncertainty. With this thought they can decide to squander their winning on something not reasonable and in turn become broke.

Victor001

I don't feel it's a general stuff,well some people feel money gotten easily should be spent easily others feel if they hit jackpot there is chance of hitting more jackpots, I have come to discover that most gamblers built their hope and confidence on luck,just very few discipline themselves to know when to stop and when to continue.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I was in the US a long time ago I have seen the documentary of the Lotto winners who became poor again. There were 2 of them who won the Lotto jackpot not once but twice. To think that they squandered the millions that they had won then that may be a syndrome. Maybe the Lotto officials should have a psychologist to give advice to the winners on how to handle their money.