Why Do I Feel Guilty After Spending Money?

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
Spending money feels bad. It's a primal reaction, and we're hardwired to avoid it.

But you know what? It's also your problem, not theirs!

The fact is, when you spend money, it's not really helping someone else get something from you. It's just giving them the opportunity to convince you that they need your help. Then they use the leverage of your wallet to get something from you like a discount or a sale or an extra favor on the next big order.

But if you think about it, isn't that just as bad for them as it is for you? They're selling their own stuff in exchange for something YOU want a discount, or an extra sale, or whatever else. And then they take advantage of YOUR desire to help THEM out and trick YOU into thinking they need YOUR money more than they actually do!

So why do we feel guilty after spending money? Because we've been tricked into believing that other people are our friends and family members and deserve our help and then tricked again into thinking that WE need their help too!

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Well, I don't actually feel bad after spending money at all because whatever I buy is of value to me, I don't spend for the sake of spending, I do understand that there are people that do feel bad after spending money especially when one buys something they don't need.

Impulse spending is one of the reason why people regret their spending, remember that the brain is like octopus it is always reaching out for some stuffs so it is only natural to want things, you want to always be in control of it, when next you caught yourself trying to buy something, ask yourself how it is going to help you, if you find yourself contemplating it's importance, then it is probably important, I found this while reading the Slight Edge book.

Regret is not going to solve problems, when you feel regret towards anything, then it is about time to change that.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
I know that guilt that comes from spending money. Especially when you are more financially stable than your friends or family members. You feel the need to help them more than spending the money on your needs and luxuries.

Well, there comes a time when you have to agree that you cannot help everyone. And that your hard earned money is yours to spend, you don't owe anyone your help, but you can choose to offer help. Just don't deny yourself too much to help them.

You also need to consider that they too could be the ones with money whole you don't have any. You wouldn't blame them for having more than you, nor would you force them to help you when they want to use their money.

Everyone has the capability of making money. So no one should guilt anyone into how they are spending their money when they don't have much. Work hard to earn yours.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Feeling guilty after spending can be divided in to two category ; either you spend it in a good way at the wrong time or spend it unwisely to where is not good at all.
Spending in a good way at the wrong time might be when you buy something that is good but not necessary at the time or spending on something despite you are in short of cash just because of your conscience is disturbing you are that moment.
One can do all these and still be filling bad because of it at the same time.
That's why one needed to plan very well before embarking on any thing or making any decision at all.

E

eldavis

There are various reasons though, often times we feel guilty after spending money due to the fact that we actually have other things much more important to do with the money hence we feel guilty cause we know we spent the money wrongly. Another reason we tend to feel guilty after spending, is when we know there are others around us who need the money way more than we do yet we still decide to use it on ourselves alone. Its natural to feel guilty in such a case.