Why do forums close when members start increasing?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
From my own perspective, more member activities on a site means more revenue generation for the site owner , but it seems my understanding is not correct. We have had cases of some websites that were legit and paying when members were not much, but when members start increasing the site admin would begin making strict policies that would make more members to leave or Become inactive on the site because they cannot stay and enjoy earnings with the new and unbearable policies.
Some of these sites end up closing without paying members their outstanding payment. So I want to understand what makes the admin to close since more members was supposed to lead to more revenue for them.

Donkiz

I think this is as a result of poor site management, it's just like an organization that opened a new business and needed customers for the business, after doing some marketing customers starts coming, naturally both the owner of the business and the workers are very welcoming to the customers, but after sometime the customer base increased then the attitude of the business owner and the staff towards the customers changed, because they believe that even if you leave someone else will come in, and before you know it, the business will start going down gradually till it collapse.

This is what happens with some sites, when the number of subscribers and site users increases, the admin might become autocratic and start dishing out rules that are not easy to scale, because he/she believes that the site has gotten a name therefore will not lack members, so anyone that is not comfortable with the rules can leave, and before you know it, the site has been ran to the ground.

Sprite1950

It's all about balance. When a forum starts to grow it has more money to hand out. I don't think many forums start off as scams. They are full of hope at the beginning but they don't anticipate how much money they will need to pay out once the site starts to get more popular. There are others things to contend with too, scammers, people who try to cheat the system.

Admin have to adjust the rules in order to keep a site stable, to slow down the earning in order to keep it. Take ForumCoin for instance, when I first joined we got paid 1 cent for 25 posts but Fergal was paying people out of his own pocket. It was then reduced to 17 posts and then to 10. Of course people did't like it and left but new people joined under the new rules and it is still here today but if it had carried on paying people for 25 posts it would be gone.

Ralphjoe

Well what usually happens to forums that closes when more members comes in is mostly due to lack of careful and thorough planning on the part of the owner of the forum. Before the owner of a forum starts a forum, he/she should have a definite plan of what to expect, the number of members that he/she can confidently pay, the streams of revenue available to the business.
It's in a situation whereby these plans are not well articulated and implemented, that is when the site owner starts bringing up excuses to ban members arbitrarily so that he/she won't pay such members, thereby running the site to it's destruction. Most of these administration feels like God when dealing with members that they don't want to pay again.

Kennysplash

Verified member
From my own perspective, more member activities on a site means more revenue generation for the site owner , but it seems my understanding is not correct. We have had cases of some websites that were legit and paying when members were not much, but when members start increasing the site admin would begin making strict policies that would make more members to leave or Become inactive on the site because they cannot stay and enjoy earnings with the new and unbearable policies.
Some of these sites end up closing without paying members their outstanding payment. So I want to understand what makes the admin to close since more members was supposed to lead to more revenue for them.
This is due to insufficient planning. Some sites dont start as scams, but as time goes on they are not able to meet the demands of their members. So they resort to cunning ways to not pay. Before hand they should have planned and analysed how they are going to run the site, how many members they can accommodate, some backup plans etc. So that when these problems come up they will be in a better position to find solution.

Olajidey

This is a very good topic. In my own point of view. I believe the team have plans when it starts and they grow with few members which will be very easy for them to payout. and there are lots of background work the team are doing which we are not aware of. so as the member increases the workload becomes more, the payout becomes more which will lead to policy review and many people will not be comfortable with it.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
It's all about balance. When a forum starts to grow it has more money to hand out. I don't think many forums start off as scams. They are full of hope at the beginning but they don't anticipate how much money they will need to pay out once the site starts to get more popular. There are others things to contend with too, scammers, people who try to cheat the system.

Admin have to adjust the rules in order to keep a site stable, to slow down the earning in order to keep it. Take ForumCoin for instance, when I first joined we got paid 1 cent for 25 posts but Fergal was paying people out of his own pocket. It was then reduced to 17 posts and then to 10. Of course people did't like it and left but new people joined under the new rules and it is still here today but if it had carried on paying people for 25 posts it would be gone.
The forum coin example you used is the most effective way to handle any earning site. I believe the admin knows it is not going to be easy paying with the higher rewards per comment he started with, and so the best way to avoid such situation was to reduce the Earning rewards per comment. This has helped his site to be active for a very long time now and I am comfortable with it.
I do not just visit the site with the mindset of earning, but I am optimistic that I will always learn something new from members posts there.

Forumcoin helped me to discover so many earning sites including this trendri, so I always refer to it as the gateway to other earning sites.
The case of forumcoin is that of appropriate planning.

Snazzy001

I think websites close in that manner because the number of members have grown to outweigh their resources and makes it hard for them to be able to pay everyone maybe when it is due .but that is totally wrong and against ethics because the owner should have known that a time will come like this .

Haypril

In my opinion, the reason is because the aim of setting up the forum was not met and that might indirectly affects the revenue that is been generated on a daily basis. In respect to this very forum, I wonder how their will be increase in revenue since members will be inactive for a while since their activities on the forum won't generate them extra money.

Dora Wi

I think one of the big things I didn't see anyone mention is that forums often start attracting spammers and scammers and thus the quality and the helpfulness of the forum deteriorates. I don't have experience of how things work from the perspective of forum management, but it seems like forums that enforce some restrictions from the beginning in order to mitigate spam do better than the ones that are very lax from the beginning and try to do damage control later.

Sprite1950

The forum coin example you used is the most effective way to handle any earning site. I believe the admin knows it is not going to be easy paying with the higher rewards per comment he started with, and so the best way to avoid such situation was to reduce the Earning rewards per comment. This has helped his site to be active for a very long time now and I am comfortable with it.
I do not just visit the site with the mindset of earning, but I am optimistic that I will always learn something new from members posts there.

Forumcoin helped me to discover so many earning sites including this trendri, so I always refer to it as the gateway to other earning sites.
The case of forumcoin is that of appropriate planning.
I joined ForumCoin in 2015 and then we were paid for 25 posts, after a while it dropped to 17 and then finally to 10 with a lower amount paid for any posts thereafter. It has stayed at that amount for around 5 1/2 years. Lots of people left when the rate was lowered but of course many others who hadn't known about the higher rate joined and were happy. Some of the people that left even came back when they realised how stable the site was compared to other forums.