Why are smokers not scared of the warning on cigerrates pack?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
It is common to see warnings about the dangers of smoking clearly stated on cigerrates pack telling users about how smoking kills them, but this does not seem to work on stopping them and they continue smoking always. In my country the warning reads this way, the federal ministry of health warns that smokers are liable to die Young.
This kind of warning should ordinarily scare someone and make them reconsider their decision to smoke, but those who indulge in it behave as if the warning is not even there.

I do not want to think this is usually due to ignorance or illiteracy because you get to see even well educated individuals who read this warning everyday, but it does not make them to be afraid, but I am thinking it even serves as a motivation to continue smoking.

What do you think could be the reason please?
Screenshot_20210614-171303.png

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Since life is all about risk, they aren't even afraid to die cos they feel nothing should make them to fear for the life which they've chosen to live. At times it works for them that way, I've seen a smoker, who smoked till old age according what my father told me, such person has been smoking right from secondary school. Some persons are just lucky smoking and never get untimely death or develop a very bad illness it disorder from it.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Since life is all about risk, they aren't even afraid to die cos they feel nothing should make them to fear for the life which they've chosen to live. At times it works for them that way, I've seen a smoker, who smoked till old age according what my father told me, such person has been smoking right from secondary school. Some persons are just lucky smoking and never get untimely death or develop a very bad illness it disorder from it.
You're right, some of them get lucky at times and so those who are still in it also think that the same luck would favour them and they would not feel the effect. Though it is still not encouraging at all since people have different ways that their bodies react to diseases. What's safe for one could be dangerous to the other.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I admit that I used to be a heavy smoker and I also admit that I didn't care about the warning. When an uncle had contracted lung cancer and was given a life sentence of a year, it had no effect on me. But I was able to quit smoking on June 29, 2007 on my own devices. It's a long story and probably I will post a thread on the details.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
This is because smokers are addicted to smoking cigars and cigarettes. Whenever a person is addicted to something, our prefrontal cortex gets shrink and we are not able to think about consequences of being addicted to something. This is not only limited to cigarette addiction. They prefer pleasure over their health.

Last edited:

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
This is because smokers are addcited to smoking cigars and cigarettes. Whenever a person is addicted to something, our prefrontal cortex gets shrink and we are not able to think about consequences of being addicted to something. This is not only limited to cigarette addiction. They prefer pleasure over their health.
Nice explanation, and I agree with you on it. If not for how addicted they are to it, they would have used their brains to think and decide to never indulge in it since the consequences are not easy to bear and one could end up in a very deplorable state. Let's just hope that with more awareness, they would be more interested in quitting.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Nice explanation, and I agree with you on it. If not for how addicted they are to it, they would have used their brains to think and decide to never indulge in it since the consequences are not easy to bear and one could end up in a very deplorable state. Let's just hope that with more awareness, they would be more interested in quitting.
Thank you for the best explanation and for your educative write-up .even me I always think why they are not afraid of what is being written on the cigarette pack. I don't really know maybe because they are addicted and they are not even ready to stop it. Some of them have taken it and they do not see themselves dying and as a result they do not believe what is being written there.

Empress

Verified member
Some are already adapted to it that they can't do without it a day so they will just turn deaf ears to it and those that are illiterate as well won't even believe in it even the literate as well did not care about the risk in it because they take the smoking as fun