Real estate Who pays for repairs in a rental property?

greenieS

Verified member
A very good question and it depends on the country you belong to. There are some countries where if you live in a rent, you go in trust and pay them to the person without any specific contract that you live in that house or in that apartment.

So, if you ruin something like sandwich maker / fridge / stove etc, who pays? Or maybe it breaks down on its own, it doesn't work anymore and the owner blames you. What do you think is the most correct way to solve such situations?

I like this thread because it's a little bit tricky, especially where I live there's a lot of feud between owners and tenants, sometimes I think it's because of lack clarity during contracts that leads to these kind of problems, everything is supposed to be written out before handing over the key to a tenants.

In my opinion, I think minor repairs like fixing of locks or minor leakage can be overlooked by the tenant since these type of repairs don't cost much and it will help in the tenants comfort, but in the case of major repairs then it should Def involves the owner and that's been fair enough.

I like this thread because it's a little bit tricky, especially where I live there's a lot of feud between owners and tenants, sometimes I think it's because of lack clarity during contracts that leads to these kind of problems, everything is supposed to be written out before handing over the key to a tenants.

In my opinion, I think minor repairs like fixing of locks or minor leakage can be overlooked by the tenant since these type of repairs don't cost much and it will help in the tenants comfort, but in the case of major repairs then it should Def involves the owner and that's been fair enough.

And where I live, as I said, there are a lot of things wrong. For example, people announce that it is the last month and from next month that they will no longer be in that rent, or the landlord gives them a deadline because something does not suit them anymore. They get upset / nervous the day before they leave spoil certain things around the house and just leave. Eh, those things are fixed by the owner ... But there are people and people, not everyone is the same. But the expenses are borne by the main landlord, not the tenants. On the other hand, if I rented and damaged something, I would pay for it because I ruined it.

A very good question and it depends on the country you belong to. There are some countries where if you live in a rent, you go in trust and pay them to the person without any specific contract that you live in that house or in that apartment.

So, if you ruin something like sandwich maker / fridge / stove etc, who pays? Or maybe it breaks down on its own, it doesn't work anymore and the owner blames you. What do you think is the most correct way to solve such situations?
Hi, greenieS. Your post is really very interesting. Who pays for repairs in a rental property? This is a very good question. In my country, a specific contract is always signed by both parties. However, if there is no contract, then things are getting difficult. I mean that it is not easy to avoid misunderstandings. If the home repairs are minor then the tenant can pay for them whereas if the repairs are major and provided that are not caused by the tenant then I think that the owner of the property must pay for them. This is my humble opinion. Thanks again for this interesting question.

I think this depend on the agreement at and when the landlord and the tenants are signing out between each other.

Majority of the real estate documents usually stated that it is the landlord that will do most of the repair on the house. Tenant will only have to pay back when a major damage is done by them accidentally.

The reason why it is the landlord who always pay for the damage is because he or she might have collected damage fee from the tenant before the occupy the resident.

And if it happens that will damage occur on the property the landlord don't usually refund the tenant.

I believe that before one rent a property the property should have been in a good shape or conditions.
Before the person take over the property there must be an agreement between the owner or the care taker and the person to rent it. Either to repair the property from the money to paid for rent or not will depend on the agreement between the party.

Real estate law is different from one country to another. Both the landlord and the tenant will follow whatever it is in the law of the Land.

There are some countries which mandate is that it is the landlord should pay for repair and refurbishing of the house as well as major damages.

Those countries that gives out such a law care more about the tenant at the expense of the landlord. Only few of the countries in the world do this.

It is the government that usually provide housing for the teeming population in such countries like that. real estate agents don't usually make a lot of money in that country.