Review WhatsApp vs Telegram vs Signal

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
Here we will discuss the present information about current world's top three freeware and cross-platform mobile messenger apps WhatsApp, Telegram, and Signal.

WhatsApp
Telegram
Signal
Developed by California based entrepreneurs Jan Koum and Brian Acton, it was released on 24th February 2009 as an Apple application. Blackberry and Android versions were added in November 2009 and August 2010 respectively. WhatsApp was acquired by Facebook on 19th February 2014 for 19 billion USD, which was paid in cash, share and stock units.​
Developed by Russian entrepreneur brothers Nikolai Durov and Pavel Durov, it was released on 14th August 2013 as an Apple application, Android versions were added in October, same year. American businessman David “Axel” Neff helped this application to become more user-friendly. Telegram FZ LLC remained the owner but its headquarter was never disclosed openly.​
Launched on July 29, 2014, as an IOS based application of Android based RedPhone and TextSecure. Signal Foundation was launched in February 2018 by American entrepreneur Moxie Marlinspike and WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton with $50 million investment. This app become so popular that even Billionaire Elon Musk and Edward Snowden endorsed it over WhatsApp privacy issue in January 2021, making it one of the world's top application.​
  • Works on Web, iPhone, Android.​
  • Free Voice, Video and Chat Message features
  • Supports Multiple languages, Stickers, Emoticons, Link
  • Works on Web, iPhone, Android, Windows Phone.​
  • Works on Web, iPhone, Android.

Donkiz

Competition is good for business as it brings about innovation and improves user experience, so the more platform hustling to get users attention, the better. Although whatsapp shot themselves on the foot with the announcement of the ill-advised privacy policy, giving platforms like signal opportunity to get to the limelight.

I think Facebook did not do much work on whatsapp after acquiring the platform in 2014 because I don't understand why whatsapp have not expanded the number of participants in group chat on the platform, and has insisted on allowing only 247 people per page whereas platform like telegram can accommodate as high as 200,000.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
Competition is good for business as it brings about innovation and improves user experience, so the more platform hustling to get users attention, the better. Although whatsapp shot themselves on the foot with the announcement of the ill-advised privacy policy, giving platforms like signal opportunity to get to the limelight.

I think Facebook did not do much work on whatsapp after acquiring the platform in 2014 because I don't understand why whatsapp have not expanded the number of participants in group chat on the platform, and has insisted on allowing only 247 people per page whereas platform like telegram can accommodate as high as 200,000.
Whatsapp became popular since Facebook bought it. Facebook was already established, while Telegram had to try a lot, it comes into fame only due to increasing news of its misuse. Signal only recently gained popularity due to Elon Musk campaigning it against Facebook's announcement over WhatsApp privacy, most people were unaware of Signal (remember the misunderstanding about Signal, most people went to some other Signal). I myself use Whatsapp more than Telegram, but I know that Telegram have more features, and Signal is something that we all have to understand.

Lekhraj19

Verified member
I have been using whatsapp for more than 4 years in my life. But, the recent heard news about concerns regarding privacy has affected a lot to Whatsapp. It is said in the news that Whatsapp is creating own regulations of privacy of people that is the right of people. In India it's more, as no such strict laws are made to protect the data of people so Whatsapp is making a lot of money with countries like India, where more than 400 million people use it on a daily basis. However, in the recent week about 10 million people have installed it around the world. People of India are also shifting towards Signal, Telegram, etc. as their new messenger service.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
I have been using whatsapp for more than 4 years in my life. But, the recent heard news about concerns regarding privacy has affected a lot to Whatsapp. It is said in the news that Whatsapp is creating own regulations of privacy of people that is the right of people. In India it's more, as no such strict laws are made to protect the data of people so Whatsapp is making a lot of money with countries like India, where more than 400 million people use it on a daily basis. However, in the recent week about 10 million people have installed it around the world. People of India are also shifting towards Signal, Telegram, etc. as their new messenger service.
The new rule of privacy is decided by Facebook Inc. (owner of whatsapp.) and this problem is for all (world-wide), so people worldwide are moving towards other source. Telegram is the 2nd most popular app after whatsapp, other apps were just in a row, but Elon Musk promoted signal and this gave way to Signal app becoming one of the most popular app, all other competitors are out of race for now. Whatsapp is now trying face-saving, and Telegram - Signal are only supporting this to keep themselves growing.

Glamourboy005

I believe everyone have the right to his/her privacy. Encroaching into someone's privacy is totally wrong. To be honest, I never new signal existed same as others too. Facebook's decision made the Signal app popular and I'm considering moving to the app and uninstalling WhatsApp.

WhatsApp group participants (247) is very low compared to telegram's. This is the main reason I use telegram often as well. Telegram features are interesting as well.

I heard Acton(WhatsApp cofounder) left the company because of this same privacy issues.

Facebook should examine their decision and have it in mind that they'll lose money and users because of this.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
I heard Acton(WhatsApp cofounder) left the company because of this same privacy issues.
Mentioned already in the thread, Action left it when it was purchased by Facebook and then created Signal, yes Co-Founder of WhatsApp is also co-founder of Signal. Billionaires like Elon Musk are endorsing Signal over other apps. The matter of privacy is everyone's matter, although Facebook Inc. denied that new privacy rules will violate WhatsApp users' privacy, however Telegram and Signal do not want to lose this chance, so they are strictly opposing the new privacy rule of WhatsApp, and are luring people with promise to respect their privacy.

Glamourboy005

Mentioned already in the thread, Action left it when it was purchased by Facebook and then created Signal, yes Co-Founder of WhatsApp is also co-founder of Signal. Billionaires like Elon Musk are endorsing Signal over other apps. The matter of privacy is everyone's matter, although Facebook Inc. denied that new privacy rules will violate WhatsApp users' privacy, however Telegram and Signal do not want to lose this chance, so they are strictly opposing the new privacy rule of WhatsApp, and are luring people with promise to respect their privacy.
In as much as WhatsApp has been topping the instant messaging chart, I like the competition now.

Mark wants to monopolize the social media market and unleah policies that are threatening.

Like you said Signal is now in the top 5 list of instant messaging apps, I like that. The tweet from billionaire Elon Musk was a plus as well.

On the long run, the competition is a healthy one. Let's wait see what happens in the coming weeks. My fingers are crossed.

Lyrrex

Sooner that we all expect, WhatsApp might be put out of business by Its competitors , like the new Signal app, because the privacy issues of WhatsApp is becoming alarming.

Aniwhyte

All this past few years I never knew that there was anything called signal, I sure know about Telegram but I have installed it numerous times out of my device because it's rough, WhatsApp on the other hand, I have been using it for quite some years now and I have never had any issues with it until this recent issues came up in which I heard that they are invading people's privacy which isn't a good thing to hear because every one has right to his or her privacy. It seems a lot of people are now abandoning WhatsApp and migrating to signal, I won't be doing that for now as I don't have anyone on my contact list who knows about signal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
people are not abandoning WhatsApp and migrating to signal
Perhaps you mean Now but typed Not.

Yes most are abandoning WhatsApp, but slowly, not very fast.
In one of the groups, some admins and active members are now promoting signal, I was thinking to move our Group to Signal as well, however members yet have to understand signal, many members do not even know Telegram. Everything is going slow and steady. WhatsApp has also postponed the planned privacy rule update to save their business. Signal is run as non-profit, so there is less chance of such privacy hack.

Aniwhyte

Perhaps you mean Now but typed Not.

Yes most are abandoning WhatsApp, but slowly, not very fast.
In one of the groups, some admins and active members are now promoting signal, I was thinking to move our Group to Signal as well, however members yet have to understand signal, many members do not even know Telegram. Everything is going slow and steady. WhatsApp has also postponed the planned privacy rule update to save their business. Signal is run as non-profit, so there is less chance of such privacy hack.
You're absolutely right, I intends typing that people are now abandoning WhatsApp for signal, thanks for the correction. I have made attempts to edit that aspect and correct the word "not" to "now but I can't seems to edit post here, but I hope the admins look into this issue and allow us to edit posts as no one is above mistake.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
You're absolutely right, I intends typing that people are now abandoning WhatsApp for signal, thanks for the correction. I have made attempts to edit that aspect and correct the word "not" to "now but I can't seems to edit post here, but I hope the admins look into this issue and allow us to edit posts as no one is above mistake.
Edit feature is available, I don't know why you did not find it, but not to worry, I fixed it. Do not make a complete post about other topics.

Now on topic -
You know already that there is privacy issue, so might be your friends are also thinking the same., but they too are reluctant because nobody among them is in signal. Actually you people have not even started using signal yet. I too yet have to start using signal, I am waiting for just a little time, because I have loads of other things to do outside messaging apps (all people are in same position. All will do this slowly, you have to start from one or two friends and then invite others.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
WhatsApp, Telegram, And Signal have made great impact in our present day, the interaction we share with other users locally and internationally is simply amazing. Kudos to those developers of this social media platforms that has eased the burden of communication with one another in the digital world. Even though I don't know much about Signal, cos it works basically for iOS its worth same attention like any other social media platforms.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I have heard of the signal but never checked this app. I do not use whatsapp and I have been using telegram for a while. I like telegram but I do not have any particular reasons for using telegram. Whatsapp has over 1 billion users and telegram sometime back announced that it surpassed 500 million users. Telegram is growing bigger.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
The application that pained me the most is 2go. Only God knows where they would have been by now assuming they compete with other applications. But they chickened out. Blackberry made its first mistake as well when they trade mark their blackberry messengers. Back to the topic, I prefer whatsap but telegram has more features than whatsapp. Just that I am not cool with it.