What Should You Do When You Do Not Get A Pay Raise?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Many people in this world work so that they may gain a lot of experience and they may develop their skills. They want to make their resume stronger and become a professional in the field. However, no one works for free and I do not see any reasons why one should work for free. After all, we all work and serve people and we get paid to provide our services and we get paid to utilize our skills. So making money is obviously one of the most important aspects of having a job. However, since the inflation rate and daily expenses are increasing each month, it is not possible for an individual to work for the same salary rates for eternity.

This is one of the main reasons why it is necessary to get a pay raise after some time. Some companies have a great system. They automatically promote employees when they think that they are performing exceptionally well. On the other hand, there are certain companies that require you to ask for a pay raise. Unfortunately, there are some companies that do not grant a pay raise even after you apply for one. So, in such kind of cases, what should you do?

Kendy

Verified member
If by paraventure I work in an organization for eighteen months and my salary is not increased, then I would leave such an organisation because obviously I cannot develop myself in such a limiting place. An organisation that one works for 12 months and there is no change in the salary increment because inasmuch as the economy is inflating, the workers output should be increased as well. This is also a source of motivation but most bad employers will act as though they are not aware of the need to increase the incentives of their workers. there is no one who would enjoy being static without having a change in salary increment it is very wrong that you will see some organisations especially schools where private teachers who work for more than 10 years under the same scale of salary and at times I blame those who choose to work in such environment and they do nothing but complain as though their umbibcal cord is tied to the job because where your input is not appreciated, the sky is wide enough, you can always go to other places or learn a skill and become self-employed and place some degree of value on yourself.

Last edited:

Rachael

Verified member
Getting a pay raise also would depend on your level of input in a particular company or organization. It is absolutely normal for a worker or employee to ask or hope for pay raise after he or she feels his contribution to the success of the company is immense. There are some good companies that increases the incentives of their workers every year or after two years interval and as such, they do not need to apply or request for a pay raise. In my country, especially in most private organizations, it gets very difficult for an employer to increase the salary of his workers without being told to do so.

In most cases, employers are ridden with fear such that they cannot speak up for their right or their expectations and what bothers them due to the fear of loosing out on their jobs. An employee who gathers the morale and request for a pay raise is often regarded as a tyrant who wants to measure up to the employer. This is actually a wrong mindset but this has been the reality of most workers such that they tend to feel inferior and cannot even compete with their peers in the outside world. If I do not get a pay raise even after requesting for it, then the best thing is to look for where my services would be appreciated.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
If you are working in a job where there is no pay raise and no promotion coming up, then you should just keep on doing your work and do not get angry. You should be patient with the company and explain to them that you are trying really hard to do good. If they give you a raise or a promotion, then it will be good for both of you.

If you have been working for a long time without getting any raise or promotion, then it means that your manager is not satisfied with your performance and has decided to let go of you or probably he's just stingy and wicked. This can happen if your performance has been below par since the beginning of employment or even before that if there was some problem with your work record or past experience in another company where they had hired you.

If this happens to you, then the best thing that you can do is find another job because nobody wants to work under such circumstances where there is no scope for improvement or growth as well as earning potential which is necessary for everyone's happiness.

When you do not get a pay raise, it can be tempting to resign from your current position. However, this is not always the best course of action. There are a few things you should do before you make any decisions.

First, try to talk to your boss about why you were not given a raise. It could be that your company is going through tough financial times and cannot afford to give raises to all employees. Or, it could be that your boss feels you are not yet ready for a pay increase. Whatever the reason, it is important to get the explanation in writing so that you can make an informed decision about what to do next.

If you decide to stay with your current employer, try to negotiate a better salary or other benefits. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of these negotiations, then you can always look for another job. Keep in mind that it may be difficult to find a new job with the same salary and benefits as your current position, so be prepared to make some sacrifices.

When you resign from your current position, make sure you have another job lined up before you hand in your notice. It is never wise to quit without having another source of income. You should also think about the impact your resignation will have on your career. If you are leaving a good company, it could jeopardize future opportunities at that company or elsewhere.

There are many factors to consider when deciding whether or not to resign from your current position. Ultimately, the decision is yours and you should do what is best for you and your family.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
The only way an employer can appreciate his workers is through salary increment. However, because of the capitalist nature of most business owners, they wish they own all the money for themselves and may be a little if the case be to their workers.

The first step to take if there is no salary increment is to first ask ourselves if we are doing what really deserves increment. Employers to be honest cannot be paying for what they are not seeing. If we are good at our field, we have much effrontery to ask for payment increment no matter how dreadful the employer may be.

Then we need to know whether we deserve the increment. There are some organizations that only increase based on the output while pay based on years of service. For the one that bases on years, for us not to be really sanctified, we need to make sure we have used the expected years recommend for us.

We can make the bold step of going to the appropriate quarters to request for our increment if at all they have failed in their own duty to increase the salary. Their responses will determine the next action that we need to take.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
If you don't get pay raise, you have couple of options:
1. Quit the job and look for work opportunities else where. If you want to choose this option, before leaving the job make sure you have already negotiated with another company and you don't remain job less even for a day.
2. Don't give your full potential to the job and start doing side hustle, once your side hustle incomes can support you. quit the job.
3. If you have the idea and the resources, if you have enough saving to go for one year even when you are not earning penny, start your own business.
4. Enroll for skill development courses, or even MBA class, build expertise and knowledge and negotiate with your employer. If you still don't get pay raise, despite having better knowledge and skill, move to another company. If you have an MBA, sooner or later you will be hired.

anil02

Verified member
Most of government and companies of organized sector have set rules of increasing pay and other allowances. But most of companies of not organizes private sector have not any rules. All is depends of the wise of employer of owner. So it is better to try for government job or job in organizes sector. If you are doing job in other private sector forget it that you pay will increase with inflation.

Etini

Valued Contributor
The first thing you should do is to honestly assess yourself and determine if you deserve a pay rise. Some people just go on blabbing about not getting a pay rise but another issue is how productive they have been in that organization. If you are sure that you deserve a pay rise and you are not getting it, then you have to demand it.

Have a conversation with your boss and make him/her understand why you need a pay rise. Listen to his explanations and commitments and asses if they are reasonable. Stay calm and watch things unfold. If after some time, nothing is being done about it, it is time to consider leaving that organization. Take your time, apply for better-paying jobs and leave. I had that conversation with my most and told him that I would leave if something is not done in two months. I got the increased pay by the following month.

anil02

Verified member
The first thing you should do is to honestly assess yourself and determine if you deserve a pay rise. Some people just go on blabbing about not getting a pay rise but another issue is how productive they have been in that organization. If you are sure that you deserve a pay rise and you are not getting it, then you have to demand it.

Have a conversation with your boss and make him/her understand why you need a pay rise. Listen to his explanations and commitments and asses if they are reasonable. Stay calm and watch things unfold. If after some time, nothing is being done about it, it is time to consider leaving that organization. Take your time, apply for better-paying jobs and leave. I had that conversation with my most and told him that I would leave if something is not done in two months. I got the increased pay by the following month.
Demanding more pay is easy but it is not easy to justify this increment. So before asking for it to boss it is better to prepare our self in better wat. If some one pay us more salary then they also want more return is way of better work. If we are deserving for more pay and our boss is not agree than no doubt some other one honor our talent