What is the role of an architect vs civil engineer in a building.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I have been to so many construction sites. I look around at how things are done and sometimes I wonder why things work the way they are. In most building construction sites, the job of supervision of the project is done by an architect. He tells the masons what to do and how to go about the project from the foundation. In some other cases, construction sites are supervised by civil engineers. The big question is, "in a building project, where does the role of the architect and the civil engineer start and stop"? It seems nowadays these two building professionals are overlapping with each other's duties.

And the architect argues that they are supposed to supervise the building project because they designed it. The civil engineer argues that they understand the nitty gritty of a building, and they are supposed to be in charge after the architect finishes doing the design. What are the roles of these two construction professionals in a building project?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
When you hear the words "architect" and "engineer," it might not be immediately clear what the difference is. Architects design buildings, while engineers design how buildings will be built. They work together to make sure that a building is functional and safe, but they are also experts in different fields.

An architect designs the structure of a building—the space itself, like an apartment complex or office building. They determine what materials will be used to create it, how much money it will take to build it, and where it will be located. Architects must consider all of these things when designing a structure that is meant to last a long time.

Engineers design how structures are constructed—how they'll fit together correctly so that they're sturdy enough to support their weight and stay standing in case of natural disasters like hurricanes or earthquakes; whether they'll be structurally sound enough to resist damage during construction; whether they'll be able to withstand heavy loads without crumbling down on top of people inside them; if there's going to be enough space inside for plumbing or electrical lines needed for running appliances within the structure's walls.