What happens to your site if you ignore dead links

D

Deleted member 13140

Well a broken link may not look or seem bad at first but well, it's more like a sugar coated disaster. But it has unforseen bad things to accomplish, one being damaging your site and your reputation.

So what bad effects does it have on your site:
1. User Experience On Your Site: of course we already know that dead links, when they were alive contained some sort of information you made avaliable for your audience to see, and let's say that information was really really important and now for the fact that the link isn't avaliable anymore, it's just like you're saying this link contains a piece of information that is need to know, But they don't need to know. Trust me that can be frustrating, especially if the need to know information is something that can save someone something like a remedy for some disease. You get the picture.

2. Your Reputation and Revenue: You spend months and lots of money getting brand awareness and making your customers to trust you and then they find some information kept from them, welll they can't really trust you enough with other information. Though some customers will actually message you and tell you about your broken link so you can fix that and they can get to their information, that's the good news but the bad news is not everyone is a goodie.

3. NOT to mention your SEO efforts:
It's simple, let's say your internal links went to your site, And then someone clicks on it to read the next article and then they see a 404 page they leave instantly.
So what does that tell Google, your content isn't what it appears to be so they start to rip you off from search ranking and there goes your seo efforts, inside Google trash an

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Thanks for this information. I could remember in one of your posts, you talked about the meaning of dead links. And this one you have talked about te effects of dead links. And with this, I know bloggers must try to avoid it. I wish you write on ways of preventing dead links.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you are trying to submit for adsense approval, and if your website contains a lot of broken links, your website will be rejected. If your website has a lot of internal broken links that is very bad for SEO. You also need to fix outgoing broken links. You need to regularly check your site for outgoing broken links.