What guides you in making managerial decision?

D

Deleted member 51169

I am a Nigerian and I know how Dangote was helped by various government of Nigeria to monopolize some markets for him. I do understand that there are some business men that do lobby the government for favorable policies that will suit their business arena. But that is not to conclude that all business men must use politics as a stair case to reach the top. I really do appreciate your post and your versed knoelego. My slight diffrence on this doesn't mean you are not correct, though.
Not at all sir. It is a discourse and in the cause of it hypothesis are generated. What is the essence of a thread if it is not engaging and I appreciate your contribution, sir.

Now, when we take about businesses our purview is drawn to multinational groups. We may even end up reviewing the roles these big conglomerates plays in the squeezing of life out of smaller businesses; which is within the context of managerial skills and strategy.

Let's take this for an example on how being a good manager of conglomerates will make you know your politics and make decisive moves like in the game of chess. Buhari government when it started, close boarders for importation of foreign goods. Every pundits applauded such move, howbeit, this was a repayment package for the sponsorship he got from Dangote group during elections period.

Did you know that closure of the borders did not affect this Dangote groups? If the CEO had not made good calculations and decide to pitch his tent with him against his opponent Atiku, what do you think this government would have done to him?

Let's us also look at it this way...Do you think that Atiku had won the elections that Dangote groups will enjoy the monopoly the have now? Will EFCC not come after them, for tax evasion?

Invariably you can be a good manager of a conglomerate with knowing your onus in politics.

Your inputs will be appreciated, sir.

Lagazine

Managerial decisions requires good experience. One need to work on the field the relate to the business where the management personnel is required. Then, one need to read books that talks about management of business in a great way.
One of the reasons why most businesses crashes even before the demise of the CEO is poor managerial skills. One thing is to start a business, another thing is its sustainability.

Growing up in the slums of my city where most business crashes at the peak of its growth, I noticed that the inability of any business to generate gains solely lies on the management especially the CEO - giving credence to the aphorism "unease lies the heads that wears the crown".

To be a good manager of any establishment, there are so many realities which we need to outline here:
*There are always hawks and whales out there to swallow up your business; competitors will use different strategies ranging from the legal to the illegal, to sure the outsmart you.
*A sustainable business is not solely build on family or blood ties; this act has ruin so many businesses. The defuncted Diamond Bank of Nigeria could be cited as an example of such act.

To be good at management, you need to see yourself as a solider in a battlefront. No solider goes to war without his ammunitions. Aside having mentors, they books you also read helps to shape you into the realities of the capitalist world of business.

Here are the books that guides to managerial skills.
*48 Laws of power
*The Mafian manager
*Art of war
*The Prince.

What books guide you to make managerial decisions? Is it just intuition or family ties?
A

Chibson

VIP Contributor
If the owner any business does not have good managerial skill then such a business we will likely not succeed. Business management is very important for the success of any business and that is the reason why when some people dies, their family member as you find it very difficult to sustain such business.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
That's very correct of you. No matter how we are skillful as managers, the type of business that we have will determine the kind of decisions we will be making. For instance, a manager in the oil sector will or may not be making decisions just as the managers in the banks will be making decisions.
Exactly both of them are going to make decision based on the type of work they are engaging their self into. Their decision will be influenced by what they are doing. That is why sometimes people that are dealing on different skill are likely to make different decision and give different solution based on their own area of experience.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
That's very correct of you. No matter how we are skillful as managers, the type of business that we have will determine the kind of decisions we will be making. For instance, a manager in the oil sector will or may not be making decisions just as the managers in the banks will be making decisions.
Exactly both of them are going to make decision based on the type of work they are engaging their self into. Their decision will be influenced by what they are doing. That is why sometimes people that are dealing on different skill are likely to make different decision and give different solution based on their own area of experience.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Nice write-up. Sometimes the type of management skill that is needed in each company or business organisation depends on the type of business, we all have our own management skills but even with that discipline is always one of the most important thing we need to understand because it will help us exercise our skill orderly .

D

Deleted member 51169

I have never worked in a managerial position. I have never been in a position where I had to make decisions on the behalf of the company. Therefore, whatever I say about what guides me to make managerial decisions, it will be hypothetical. I have made a lot of decisions for my online businesses, though.
Having an online business which you are in control automatically makes you a manager. Like you said "I have made a lot of decisions for my online businesses..." is a managerial duties. It is not rocket science. So long as you decide over an institution, organizations, cum business; you are manager.

So what are you guides when making decisions on your online businesses.?

Mika

VIP Contributor
I have never worked in a managerial position. I have never been in a position where I had to make decisions on the behalf of the company. Therefore, whatever I say about what guides me to make managerial decisions, it will be hypothetical. I have made a lot of decisions for my online businesses, though.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Not at all sir. It is a discourse and in the cause of it hypothesis are generated. What is the essence of a thread if it is not engaging and I appreciate your contribution, sir.

Now, when we take about businesses our purview is drawn to multinational groups. We may even end up reviewing the roles these big conglomerates plays in the squeezing of life out of smaller businesses; which is within the context of managerial skills and strategy.

Let's take this for an example on how being a good manager of conglomerates will make you know your politics and make decisive moves like in the game of chess. Buhari government when it started, close boarders for importation of foreign goods. Every pundits applauded such move, howbeit, this was a repayment package for the sponsorship he got from Dangote group during elections period.

Did you know that closure of the borders did not affect this Dangote groups? If the CEO had not made good calculations and decide to pitch his tent with him against his opponent Atiku, what do you think this government would have done to him?

Let's us also look at it this way...Do you think that Atiku had won the elections that Dangote groups will enjoy the monopoly the have now? Will EFCC not come after them, for tax evasion?

Invariably you can be a good manager of a conglomerate with knowing your onus in politics.

Your inputs will be appreciated, sir.
I really appreciate your input on this. But all your inputs are merely assumption. You cannot prove all what you said except you only want to be biased. There is no Nigerian that will deny the fact that Dangote preferential treatment from government but not all economic polices of government are made to favour his company. He might have paid his due and have some political power due to his economic power.

D

Deleted member 51169

One of the reasons why most businesses crashes even before the demise of the CEO is poor managerial skills. One thing is to start a business, another thing is its sustainability.

Growing up in the slums of my city where most business crashes at the peak of its growth, I noticed that the inability of any business to generate gains solely lies on the management especially the CEO - giving credence to the aphorism "unease lies the heads that wears the crown".

To be a good manager of any establishment, there are so many realities which we need to outline here:
*There are always hawks and whales out there to swallow up your business; competitors will use different strategies ranging from the legal to the illegal, to sure the outsmart you.
*A sustainable business is not solely build on family or blood ties; this act has ruin so many businesses. The defuncted Diamond Bank of Nigeria could be cited as an example of such act.

To be good at management, you need to see yourself as a solider in a battlefront. No solider goes to war without his ammunitions. Aside having mentors, they books you also read helps to shape you into the realities of the capitalist world of business.

Here are the books that guides to managerial skills.
*48 Laws of power
*The Mafian manager
*Art of war
*The Prince.

What books guide you to make managerial decisions? Is it just intuition or family ties?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
What is business if not politics. Who control the politics, if not politics. I believe you are a Nigerian, study above the influence of Dangote groups on your government and how the manage to have monopoly of virtually all consumable goods. You can not be a successful business orgainzation without getting involved in the politics of your host countries.
So reading such books to sharpen your decision making strategies is not a bad mention.
I am a Nigerian and I know how Dangote was helped by various government of Nigeria to monopolize some markets for him. I do understand that there are some business men that do lobby the government for favorable policies that will suit their business arena. But that is not to conclude that all business men must use politics as a stair case to reach the top. I really do appreciate your post and your versed knoelego. My slight diffrence on this doesn't mean you are not correct, though.

D

Deleted member 51169

If you have the ability to hire the best employees for your company that's the best managerial decision you can make. One of the main reasons why a company fails is because there are not many skilled and qualified professionals. If you are hiring less qualified staff, it is less likely that you will succeed
Well that is a point you made there. But what is the point establishing a business you can not manage properly and rely on the expertise of others? I am not ruling out the importance of employees, but do you know if you can not make good decisions in your company as the CEO with a balance and logical reasonings, employers will be riping off your business with loopholes you allow them to create.

Be a good manager first before empoying expertise is the beginning of best decisions.

D

Deleted member 51169

I habe read and still have all the books listed by the poster. And I can authoritatively conclude that both Art of War and The Prince deal with politics, and how countries relate than how we relate with people. Anyway, what shapes me most is to learn from the failed bhsiness man. I only want to know why they fail.
What is business if not politics. Who control the politics, if not politics. I believe you are a Nigerian, study above the influence of Dangote groups on your government and how the manage to have monopoly of virtually all consumable goods. You can not be a successful business orgainzation without getting involved in the politics of your host countries.
So reading such books to sharpen your decision making strategies is not a bad mention.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
If you have the ability to hire the best employees for your company that's the best managerial decision you can make. One of the main reasons why a company fails is because there are not many skilled and qualified professionals. If you are hiring less qualified staff, it is less likely that you will succeed

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I have read and still have all the books listed by the poster. And I can authoritatively conclude that both Art of War and The Prince deal with politics, and how countries relate than how we relate with people. Anyway, what shapes me most is to learn from the failed bhsiness man. I only want to know why they fail.

Last edited:

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Nice write-up. Sometimes the type of management skill that is needed in each company or business organisation depends on the type of business, we all have our own management skills but even with that discipline is always one of the most important thing we need to understand because it will help us exercise our skill orderly .

Good luck

Verified member
You need to have a good business skills so as to know how to follow guidelines in managing a particular b or organization.you will always need to seek advice from expert when it comes to taking some decisions in doing or engaging in a particular trade of interest.You will also need to consult your financial institutions to take some decisions in management