What exactly is DogeCoin (DOGE)?

Discover Crypto with MEXC Global

Open-source cryptocurrency Dogecoin stands apart from other coins thanks to its original creation, which was inspired by the well-known meme of the yellow Shiba Inu. It operates on the DogeCoin blockchain, a fork of the Bitcoin Core that makes use of Scrypt encryption and the proof-of-work consensus algorithm. Two IBM engineers named Billy Markus and Jackson Palmer created DogeCoin with the goal of satirizing the excessive speculation in the just-initiated cryptocurrency market.

Dogecoin.jpeg

Dogecoin Logo

Key Functionality of DogeCoin
Decentralization is a fundamental tenet of DogeCoin, and it still serves as its driving force.
  • Friendly and entertaining online money. Given that it was founded on an online meme, DogeCoin appeals to a wider audience than the majority of other cryptocurrencies. Community websites like Reddit and Tiktok have always been crucial to DogeCoin's future.
  • Rapid block time DogeCoin can be used for online payments and microtransactions, and it only takes one minute to mine.
  • Extreme Volatility DogeCoin is the best coin for cryptocurrency day traders and other investors with more experimental investment philosophies due to the degree of decentralization it has achieved and its community-based operations.
Tokenomics of DOGE
DogeCoin, a descendant of the original Bitcoin processes, adheres to the reward structures of its forebears: 10,000 DOGE every block, and each block takes around one minute to mine. Users can also gain DogeCoin by participating in DogeCoin communities and exchanging, swapping, and getting "tipped" by other users.

The supply of DogeCoin is unrestricted, according to its creators Jackson Palmer and Billy Markus. The first DogeCoin supply cap was 100 million tokens. All 100 million tokens had been mined by the middle of 2015, and 5 million tokens were added to the supply annually. However, Palmer declared in February 2014 that the number of DogeCoins that will be put into circulation will no longer be capped at 5 million but rather calculated in order to steadily lower the inflation rate of the token over time. The initial inflation rate, which was set at 5% in 2015, is expected to drop to 4% by 2019, 3% by 2027, and 2% by 2035.

A meme coin, is Doge Coin? Although this charge is not without merit and can be traced to DogeCoin's developers, its massive market share and high transaction volume make it a legitimate investment for many. Its "fan base" also includes a lot of famous people (most notably Elon Musk whose comments regarding DogeCoin on Twitter have landed him accusations of market manipulation). In the end, DogeCoin's practical economic effects have long outgrown the constraints imposed by its creators.

cmoneyspinner

At this point I don't really care what DOGECOIN is. I said I would never buy any, but one should NEVER SAY NEVER! Because as soon as Elon Musk bought Twitter, the price of DOGE went up. So I bought some. In the past 5 days the coin price has increased 72%.

At this point I don't really care what DOGECOIN is. I said I would never buy any, but one should NEVER SAY NEVER! Because as soon as Elon Musk bought Twitter, the price of DOGE went up. So I bought some. In the past 5 days the coin price has increased 72%.
It's crazy. Don't underestimate the DOGE fans! I personally don't believe in it and shorted it in the past few days. Lost some pocket money lol.