What are Broken Links and How to Fix Them

Mika

VIP Contributor
Too many broken links on your website will not get your website rejected by major ad networks like Adsense but also hinder your search engine ranking. Therefore, fixing broken links is one of the basic SEO strategies you need to implement on your website.

What is a broken link?

If the link you click from your website reaches a page that says “the page you are looking for does not exist,” it is a broken link.

What causes a broken link?

Here are the possible reasons

Url is incorrect

You have changed your website url structure

The link you linked does not exist

The page you have linked does not exist

There is an issue with SSL on the target website.

A firewall is blocking the website

There is geolocation restriction

How to Fix a broken link?

There are numerous sites that will help you to find out the broken link just by scanning your website. After scanning your website, these broken link fixing programs will show you a list of pages where broken links appear, once you see which page has broken link, you can go to that page and easily. Use the following sites to fix broken links

Small SEO Tools

Chrome Broken Link Extension

Ahrefs
Semrush Broken Link Checker

Note: All of these broken link checkers are free tools.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I use small SEO Tools to check broken links. When run my website scan through small SEO tools broken link checker, it will show all broken links on the website with a link to the page where there is broken link. I then manually remove the broken link. Most of the time broken links are in the comment section.