Wear and tear of property that can't be paid by tenants

Augusta

VIP Contributor
When it comes to damages of your property as a property owner you would need to ascertain first if the property is damaged by the tenant negligence or it is the natural wear and tear of the property which might be caused by nature. When the damages are natural then you can't hold your tenants accountable for them. it is your duty as property owner to fix them

So what are those natural demages that are due to normal wear and rear of the property which happens with time.

Fading of painting or flooring in the property. This can be caused by the exposure of the property to sunlight.

Holes in the wall, you can hold your tenants for damages when the walls naturally cracks and have holes. This is natural and might just be due to time.

When your property starts having little surfaces scratches. This comes with property wear and rear due to passage of time.

The scrapes and scruffs on the wall is still natural

Wear and rear of sinks, boilers and baths

What do you think?

allison001

Verified member
Yes I understand . As a property owners, it is your property and you are the one to make sure your property is up-to-date and to the modern standard. You can't be expecting someone that just rented a property to start paying for the depreciation of your property. .

There are some situations in which a tenant May want to make the room more comfortable. They may go extra miles to decorate it and make it suitable for themselves. In this case it is their own personal decision and may not likely concerns the real owner.

Everybody both the landlord and the tenant has rules and regulations that governs each and every one. Everybody are entitled to their right and no one try to invade into other people right either a tenant or the property owner.

It will really be surprising if a property owner start hoping for tenant to pay for natural depreciation of property other than the one the is intentionally damage.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Yes the law is a two way thing now. it protects both the land owner and the renter so that none infringe on the right of the other. You would have known your rights as a tenant and know when you have ignorantly damaged a property so that you can remedy it peacefully without pressure from the landlord.

The truth is that we can coexist always as tenant and land isner of everyone try to be humane towards one another. The relationship will be smooth when everyone works to see that the next person is well taken care of.

what I'm saying In. essence is fhat a land owner should know damages caused by natural wear and tear and try to fix it than trying to pass it out to the tenants, then when the tenant point it out it becomes an issues which might even lead to a unnecessary law suits.

Shigobad2020

I am currently living in a old estate where the landlord is no more and because he has five children and they are always fighting over the properties , they tend not to take care of the estates and all they do is collect house rent , that's the reason why the houses started wearing out because of improper care of the properties and the house is now loosing value because tenants wants the best and when they can't get the best , they will reduce the price of the rent and that's why most houses or properties decreases in value due to lack of care ,

As the property owner making the neccesary replacement or doing proper renovation of the wear and tear side of the house is very important if you want the house to last long and also continue making money from the property .
At least you should be renovating the house by at least re painting the house once in three or four years .

Augusta

VIP Contributor
This is always the case with real estate owners the next generation most times make a mess of it . The new owner would have taken care of a building so well but when he passes on it the children will just be about collecting the money than doing any renovation.

Tenant of course know the damages that they need to takeon and they ones that the landlord should do. So as a landlord it is always good to save some of the money collected as rent to repaint, repair and renovate a building.

Some landlords are just greedy though because they spend all the money they get on frivolities than putting the interest of the tensbts too at heart.

I think landlords that refused to put the natural damages in order for their tenants should be sued provided they are paying their rents which makes them at liberty to get a better treatment from their landlords.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
You wouldn't expect your tenants to fix those stuffs for you, you'll be the one to fix it, if you truly want to keep your house attractive and still meets others demands and not just your current tenants demands. But when their are damages in the house, like, the bathroom facilities, you'll let your tenants know, they'll bear the loss and repair such kind of damages. So, you wouldn't run at loss as a land lord, since some tenants are just too careless. You'll put up this kind of condition via the land lord and tenant agreement, so, they'll know before hand. I wouldn't repair a broken toilet sink, washing sink, the tap, wardrobe etc, when the tenants damages them. The tenants will bear the loss, why I'll make sure my house stays clean, repainting it, and doing other sorts of regular maintenance to keep it shining and not being outdated within short duration.