Very low wages can have a drawback on the business

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
As I had mentioned in another post that our neighbor is building a big apartment, I saw some issues that I thin the owner is at fault. The construction workers are being paid a measly wage that is way below the minimum wage here. Some workers who approached me were complaining because they thought I can influence the owner. But why would I when I am just a neighbor and I have no interest in their concern. Anyway, based on my observation the workers are not doing their work diligently. The owner lives a few houses away so it is easy for him to drop by the construction. He comes every day and sometimes twice or even thrice a day to check on the construction. When the owner is not around most of the workers are just chatting and smoking. When I told my wife about the attitude of the workers, my said that it is good for the owner because he was paying the workers very low wages. That got me thinking.

When your workers are not being treated fairly I guess it is only fair for them to not treat you fairly as well. Doing less work for the lesser wage is the drawback when you underpay your workers.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
In business, low wages often seem to make sense, but what about very low wages?. Businesses keep costs down by paying their employees a low salary or hourly wage. The company saves money on labor, which it can then put into research and development, or new machinery, or marketing. But there is a cost to paying too little employees: they leave, they become unsatisfied with the job, they form unions and opposed to their employers, there is also difficulty employing new ones with low wages. These are all problems with paying very low wages, even if you get any, it might not be the professional or the right worker fit for the job.

Ironically, very low wages have the opposite effect in an economy like this. Low wages cause products to be made cheaply and require a lot of time and effort on the part of an employee. This increases training expenses. It also decreases production quality, which causes customers to seek out better products elsewhere; which may be, ironically, another country where they can find a better product at a lower price. An unfriendly workplace will cause employees who are unhappy with their pay to quit or become sub-productive workers wasting time and effort, again increasing production costs.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
That's awesome observation you've made concerning an employer underpaying it's workers. When workers labour too much with low earnings it doesn't motivate them at all. An employer should pay them duly for the amount they deserve and not just underpaying them. I never felt satisfied when I am underpaid, I know how painful it is. Working so hard and earning so minimal comes with negative feelings. If such continues for long time without improvement, you wouldn't have the zeal to continue to give your all to the business enterprise or to the employer who employed you to do job full-time for him or her.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Wages or salaries can never comensurate with work done. That's it is not possible to measure the work done with salary or wages but there is need to pay at least averagely okay to ensure fairness.

Low wages does nothing other than making the workers feel cheated and they may not want to put in their best. They may decide to work at low pace since they are not motivated by the salary given.

I do advice business owners who may not afford paying high or average salary or wage to be doing some incentives in order to motivate the workers. Incentives as well has a long way to go while motivating and promoting workers to work towards the growth of the business.

PICKFORD

Verified member
No one will like to earn lower than the energy time and knowledge she puts in accomplishing a particular work , goals or objectives . A lot of workers today are not being treated fairly thereby causing them to leave their present job or switching to a more better paying job . sometimes they are being promised by their employer or manager to be paid a huge amount of money but at the end they receive little amount of money.

The manager or employer must understand that his workers , staffs , or employees may have their own family as well as problems to cater so it is reasonable to pay them a considerate amount of money . If I told you as the manager do not have amount of money to pay them it is important to let your workers know the amount of money you are going to pay them if they comply in accomplishing a particular business goals or objectives.

To be precise in Africa, Nigeria a lot of people are not being treated fairly when it comes to payment of wages thereby causing them to open their own soap ridership business rather than working under someone . But yet this idea is sometimes limited by lack of capital

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
I want to believe that the major reason why people pick up a job offer 90% of the times has to do with money, if the pay rate is not commensurable with the job the employee has to do then there will certainly be a serious draw back because the worker will not be motivated to work and put in their best at work. And when they fail to give their best this will certainly become obvious in the overall output of the busienss organization.

Although I know the pay rate may not be the only thing that can bring about motivation on the job, as there are other things that can boost the morals of employees. These other things are factors that employers will most times commonize, but in the real light of it, it goes a long way in the hearts of thr employees and can make them put in their best despite the amount of their pay rate.

The way the employers addresses their employees matters alot, because this can give them a sense of belonging, when we address our employees we should make them feel good we should learn to be somewhat flexible and polite and also learn to commend them when they are doing well this will boost the output.