The Ideal Business for Students

btaliat

VIP Contributor
There are many businesses that students can do these days. As we have affiliate marketing program, we also have blogging and other online businesses. But I do advice to choose the business that won't rally affect their studies. These can be done by choosing the ones that won't take much of their time.

SteeveJo

As a student, you may feel stuck for ideas and that the options you have available to you may be limited, but the truth is that you have many opportunities available to you, and just some ideas include the following:

Social media manager

No matter what industry they’re in, every business needs to be active on a variety of social media platforms if they want to experience success. If you are talented in the digital realm of social media, this is a service that you could definitely start offering to business owners. You could also take a few online courses to become versed in social media advertising which would allow you to offer an even more valuable service to local business owners.

Reselling textbooks

The reselling of secondhand textbooks is a great way to make a little extra money as a student. By buying secondhand textbooks from old students and selling them to new ones, you are definitely fulfilling a need that is unique to the university campus. This service could be done online or in person, and there is definitely potential for profit.

Sell clothes on Depop

While selling clothes on Depop may not seem like you’d be able to make a great profit, if you have an eye for style, you could be very successful. You could start by selling your old clothes and then approaching university students to ask if they’d like to sell anything of their own. From there, you could also go looking for fashionable pieces in thrift shops. You’ll be amazed by the profits that you can turn in doing this.

Upcycling

As consumers are becoming more conscious of the environment, upcycling is becoming incredibly popular. By turning ‘junk’ into useful items to sell, you could gain the attention of the ever-growing amount of conscious consumers. Creating a sustainable business through upcycling may prove to be both profitable as well as fulfilling.

Do deliveries

Do you have some sort of vehicle available to you? Why not put it to good use and start a small deliveries company for businesses and restaurants in your local area. The more reliable you are, the more likely you are to gain more clients and improve your driving and delivery skills. You could also charge students that do not have vehicles of their own to give them lifts around town.

Write an ebook

Are you a gifted wordsmith? Do you have knowledge in a particular area? As a student, you are likely to have both a talent with words and a particular knowledge sphere. If so, you have a great opportunity available to you to publish an ebook and sell it online for a profit.

Grow and sell plants

Are you a bit of a green thumb? Did you know that houseplants experienced an exponential demand over the pandemic, and their popularity is still rising? By growing and selling houseplants to students and at markets, and even online, you could enhance your plant knowledge and skills while creating a successful business model.

Pet sitting and house sitting

As a student, you probably have most weekends and evenings free. If you are the responsible type and have a passion for animals, you could start a pet and house sitting business and advertise your services to local pet and homeowners. If your business had to experience quick growth, it would be easy for you to rope in other students to handle double bookings.

Sell crafts and artwork on Etsy

Are you an artsy and crafty person? Do you enjoy creating illustrations, paintings, sculptures, etc.? Why not make money from your skills by selling your crafts on Etsy. It is very easy to do, and if you are someone who enjoys creating, this could be a very fun and exciting business opportunity for you that you could do in your own time.

Become a freelancer

Becoming a freelancer is essentially like starting your own business. Freelancing will allow you to manage your freelance work and university workload, and you should be able to work from the comfort of your home and even on campus. There are many different types of freelancers out there, including graphic designers, copywriters, transcribers, photographers, and so much more.

Run events

Students love events, and there is often a lack of exciting events to go to. By networking with local venues, you could start hosting your very own events and start an events company. You could do games nights, speed dating, entertainment, and so much. Getting involved in events at a young age could open many doors for you at a later stage, even if you start really small!

Offer transcription services for lectures

Are you good at taking notes in lectures? Your fellow students may not be, and they may be willing to pay a small fee for your lecture transcription. Even your lecturers may be interested in these services. What’s great about this is that it doesn’t cost any money or time in your part unless you start transcribing for lectures that are not part of your syllabus.

Sell essential university packages

As a university student, you know which items are absolutely essential to your success and contentedness at university. However, new university students may not be aware of this. By putting together essential university packages and selling them to new students as well as online so that you can access students at other universities, you could turn an impressive profit.

Run a tutoring business

So you’re a student, right? This means that you must have gotten good grades in school and that you’re on your way to becoming an expert in a particular topic. This means that you may have what it takes to become an ideal tutor to school students who may be struggling in certain areas. Furthermore, your fellow students surrounding you are also potential tutors that you could use to help grow your tutoring business and help out other students with some extra pocket money.

Handle student laundry

Not to be stereotypical, but students are often very lazy when it comes to handling their laundry. An excellent business idea would be to collect student laundry and take it down to the laundromat yourself and put a mark upon your services, of course. Better yet, you could invest in a washer and dryer of your own (if you have the means and the space) and have your very own laundry service, with which you could very easily turn a profit.

Create an app

As a student, you should be surrounded by inspiration on a daily basis. Most of your fellow students should be active on a variety of apps. By speaking to students around you, you’ll be able to perform highly effective market research and come up with an app that meets their needs. Developing an app is also something that can be done in your own time and can be a combined effort of multiple parties. Depending on the success of your app, you could make an impressive profit and later look at offering app creation services for other businesses.

Mika

VIP Contributor
A student should take care of a lot of things while starting a business. For example, the business should have a low start-up cost (students are in lack of big funds) and the business should not require a lot of time to manage (students also need to study and prepare fo their exams)

kayode10

VIP Contributor
A student can sell some of the clothing materials to fellow students on campus as cheaper price than the marketplace. You can also sell some of the accessories commonly used daily by the students on campus. I know someone who set up a business centres for photocopy in the school premises and he is making a lot of money.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
I'm a student I am and I am currently involved in online businesses. the reason I chose online business is because it gives me the convenience to study adoption make money sitting at the comfort of my room. offline businesses is also good but it will not give you the kind of chance or freedom online businesses gives.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
If you have a computer system you can become a freelancer by rendering different services at the marketplace and get paid in return. The simplest service you can render in the marketplace is proofreading. Get a premium software online which you can use to render his service with little stress.

Skysaint

Verified member
I think you are right about that. For those that their courses and regular classes would allow to handle such business, because I do believe that there are courses you might be offering that won't leave you with all the time to partake in such adventures. I for one, am most comfortable working on paid to post sites as its something I do totally when I am free and won't be pressured to check it out frequently

kayode10

VIP Contributor
I like the concept of creating app. It is possible for students to learn and create helpful apps. The type of apps you are going to create most undervalued to people's life to receive lots of download on Google play store. After that you can apply for Google admob to display adverts on his apps. He will be receiving passive income that way.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I think social media marketing business can be idea business for students. If students are active and creative, they can build a large following on social sites. When they have a large following, they can easily attract businesses and individuals for advertising. This will allow them to make money without doing hard work.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
You can become a logo designer if you ask a basic knowledge about graphic design. All you have to do is to sign up with a freelance marketplace like fiverr and set up your account to render services to the people in the marketplace. Try to render quality services and I always ask for referral.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Students should not focus on business instead of learning in school or college. However, getting involved in business activities in spare time does not harm much. In fact, if you are a business and management student, doing business will help in your studies as you will be applying everything that you learned in books.,

kayode10

VIP Contributor
You can decide to start up animation service. There is a high demand for this in most of the freelance marketplaces. the best part of it is that you can make use of a software that will render the service within short period of time. Just ensure that you are giving the best to the customers so as to make consistent income.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Selling notes and course books can also be a good way to make money for students. For example a student in grade 10 can sell notes and course books for grade 9, which he no longer needs. Student can also resort to online tutoring, for example, someone in college can teach high school students.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
I think freelancing is good for a student. The reason is that you can engage in freelancing services at any point in time. The only thing that students need is to deliver the product and time for the client and it must be of high quality. I have a younger brother who is rendering proofreading services in the freelance marketplace. It makes consistent income

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Yeah affiliate marketing seems to be the best option and recommended business for students ,only that the students needs to be very good in affiliate marketing and know how to persuade customers to purchase it's product more and make himself gains and profit through that means I think tho ,

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I think freelancing is good for a student. The reason is that you can engage in freelancing services at any point in time. The only thing that students need is to deliver the product and time for the client and it must be of high quality. I have a younger brother who is rendering proofreading services in the freelance marketplace. It makes consistent income
Freelancing is good for students. The students can pick of the area of their interest, or the area where they have skills and knowledge and provide the service on the freelance marketplace. However, we need to understand one thing, the freelance market is very competitive, you will have to work hard to get hired, you need professional level skills, you need to have patience, etc.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I don't recommend freelancing for students. First of all you need professional skills, which is not possible for a student because he/she is already busy with his/her school/college, secondly, freelancing is competitive niche. I think selling online is better, the student cam promote the products to his/her peers and earn by selling online

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I had not though about the other face of the coin. I agree with your statement. Freelancing can be a tough nut to crack. First of all, students need to work had to develop professional skills and then compete with the professionals on the freelancing platforms to get the job.