The free soda in the bottle cap

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Have you experienced the promo of the soda companies where you will check the bottle cap for a probable free soda? It was one of the wonderful things during my childhood. Coke (it was called Coca Cola then) has the free soda and prize money if you can complete the phrase Coke is the real thing. Pepsi has its Pepsi treats 2 which was a hit. My brother got a bottle cap with that prize to win 2 soda bottles for free.

It makes me wonder why those soda promo have stopped during the digital age. It would be great because of the social media the promo would spread far and wide, faster than before. I am still hoping that Coke or Pepsi would have such a promo that will invigorate their sales.

When I was in teems Coca-cola had this offer, whoever completes the phrase (the tag line of Coca-Cola), will win a date with this actor I really liked the actor, therefore, I wanted to win the contest. I drank 2-3 bottles just to find out the missing word in the phrase. sadly, I could not complete the phrase.

This was one of the ways those brand promoted their products then. Unfortunately, many have stopped the method for some reasons. Just like as @Mika contributed, they prefer using this actors as their ambassadors or even organize a show where these actors will grace and people may be granted entrance with maybe buying a bottle of this brand. This is common in my country nowadays.

I have seen a lot of this marketing campaigns that have either been successful or not in the past here. The majority of the people even if they are not going to offer free soda do things like like offering them free airtime or the opportunity to get some free text messages.